Family Weekend 2019: Schedule of events

Sofia Moraga
The University of Arizona Mall in Tucson, Ariz.

For the 87th year of Family Weekend, the University of Arizona’s Parent and Family Programs is organizing another weekend full of fun and interactive events for all kinds of UA families.

From Friday, Oct. 11 to Sunday, Oct. 13, the UA will host a variety of family-friendly activities at different locations on campus and around Tucson.

Starting at 8 a.m. Friday, the Student Recreation Center and the NorthREC will allow free entry to all UA families for group fitness and F45 classes. The Rec Center will be having more free classes at the same time on Saturday as well. 

For families looking to play a few rounds of golf on Friday, Topgolf is hosting a charity game event to support the UA Campus Pantry. The Parents & Family Association Family Golf Challenge will take place at 9 a.m. and costs $125. 

RELATED: Around the corner: Welcome Diner

Also taking place at 9 a.m. Friday is Campus Health’s “Beat the flu and ASU!” campaign. For UA students with a valid CatCard, Campus Health staff will administer a flu shot on the UA Mall in a competition against Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University and Grand Canyon University over which school can give the most flu shots. If students do not have billable insurance, Campus Health will bill one’s bursar’s account for the $27 flu shot. 

Campus Health will be back on Saturday from 4-7:30 p.m. for more flu shots on the UA Mall.

The UA Foundation will host an ice cream social for all UA students and families. The free event will take place on Friday at 4 p.m. on the UA Mall. 

From 6-8 p.m. Friday, the UA Hillel Foundation plans to celebrate the Sabbath with the Jewish community on campus at their community center. Free dinner will be provided after making a reservation online

For those wishing to experience nature on Family Weekend, UA Outdoor Recreation is leading a moonlight hike at Saguaro National Park West on Friday. From 6-11 p.m., the low-intensity hike will provide transportation and instruction for the price of $10 for students and $20 for non-students.

For a more intense hiking trip, Campus Recreation is having another event at Mount Lemmon from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday. Transportation, instruction and lunch will be provided for $35 for students and $45 for non-students.

For more information on any of these events, visit the Family Weekend website

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter