Pride of Arizona, UA Alumni Band to play Homecoming

Rebecca Noble

The Pride of Arizona marching band and UA’s Alumni Band will keep traditions alive on Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Homecoming football game with their performance.

“I think it’s really fun to get to meet the different generations in the band,” said Rachel Pauls, a UA graduate, mellophone player for the Alumni Band and former member of the Pride of Arizona.

Some people have continued to participate in the band dating all the way back from the ’70s and ’60s, according to Nate Kirchner, president of the Alumni Band.

The Alumni Band performs during the tailgate before each home football game and at other events like Homecoming week and the Lighting of “A” Mountain.

The band also provides needed support for the Pride of Arizona marching band with fundraising events and band scholarships.

“It still gives you the time to do what you love with people you can share a bond with in the same way you did when you were active in the Pride of Arizona,” Pauls said.

Kirchner has been part of the Alumni Band on and off for about 14 years. He currently plays the tuba and trombone for the Alumni Band and was a member of the Pride of Arizona from 1999 to 2002.

“Our goals are to support the band like how a high school marching band would have been supported by band parents,” Kirchner said. “We are there to continue helping the students any way they need it.”

They help the band, whether it is by taking over for the Pride of Arizona when they need a band to play events or simply passing out water bottles after football games, Kirchner said.

“One thing that made me want to do this the most was to continue playing,” Kirchner said. “There are so many people who finish up college band and never go back to playing again.”

He said the size of the Alumni Band has tripled since he began to find more ways to recruit after the band lacked in members.

As the band has grown, they have become a stronger presence within the Pride of Arizona, according to Kirchner. They have done more local events around the Tucson community that they haven’t done before.

Requirements for joining the band are to have either been in the Pride of Arizona for a season or have taken any music class in the UA and have completed 20 credits.

The UA Alumni Band will be performing the Earth Wind and Fire song, “September,” this Homecoming alongside the Pride of Arizona during their half-time show, as well as a tailgate performance.

“I joined because I wanted to continue playing my instrument and not abandon it after marching it for so many years,” said Edgar Ortega, marketing senior and former pride member. “I enjoy being with a group of people who have been in the pride for years and years before me.”

Follow Angela Martinez on Twitter.