Sports briefs

Former football players have jerseys retired

The University of Arizona will retire the jerseys of seven former Wildcats in a ceremony that will be held at an Arizona football game against USC on Nov. 13.

During halftime the UA will honor linebacker Ricky Hunley, safety Chuck Cecil, kicker Steve McLaughlin, cornerbacks Antoine Cason, Darryll Lewis and Chris McAlister and defensive tackle Rob Waldrop.

The UA athletics department policy includes jersey honors for student-athletes who were national players of the year or inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Though jerseys are honored, the individual numbers are not taken out of use under UA policy.

Current UA running back Nic Grigsby will continue to wear his No. 5 jersey even though Cason’s No. 5 jersey will be retired during the ceremony.

UA basketball center standing out in U-20 European Championships

Arizona basketball sophomore Kyryl Natyazhko led the Ukraine to an eighth-place finish at the FIBA U-20 European Championships, averaging 17 points and eight rebounds.

The sophomore center made 45 percent of his field goal attempts in the nine games played in the European Championships.

Natyazhko struggled during his freshman campaign at Arizona but could add more depth to the Wildcat frontline if he can improve during his sophomore season.

— Arizona Summer Wildcat