Police Beat: Oct. 27

Mystery man arrested for driving under the influence

On Thursday at about 1:30 a.m., a driver was heading northbound on Campbell Avenue when a University of Arizona Police Department officer saw a car weave from side to side, striking the fog lane on the left side and driving over the lane divider on his right. Next, the car turned west onto University Boulevard and the side tires went over the dividing line on the turning lane.

The officer pulled the car over. The driver admitted to drinking a beer at Cactus Moon. He could not find his driver’s license. The man said it had been in his pocket, since he used it to get into the bar, but couldn’t find it in his pocket now.

The man gave the officer his name but a records check could not verify it and he could not provide a social security number. The officer noted a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car and that the man’s eyes were watery and bloodshot.

The officer asked the man to step outside, which he did. The officer gave the man an eye test and a walk-and-turn test. The man showed signs of intoxication in both tests.

The man was still unable to identify himself and the officer arrested him on charges of driving under the influence and transported him to UAPD in handcuffs. Since the officer could not verify that the man had a driver’s license, the car was impounded.

The man submitted two breath tests once at UAPD. The first, taken at 2:36 a.m., showed a blood alcohol content of 0.137. The second one, taken at 2:43 a.m., showed a blood alcohol content of 0.128. The man was then told that he was being transported to Pima County Jail in order to verify his birth and identity. Before he was taken away, the man provided his Mexican passport. He told the officer he had dual citizenship in the U.S. and in Mexico. He was then booked into Pima County Jail.

Another DUI

Around 11:13 p.m. on Thursday, a UAPD officer watched as a white SUV made an illegal right-hand turn onto Speedway Boulevard. The officer pulled the car over and had the driver identify himself. The officer noticed the man had watery and red eyes and could smell alcohol coming from the vehicle. The man said he had not been drinking.

The officer asked the man to step out of his car. He then did a couple of tests to see if the man was drunk. The tests indicated that the man was intoxicated.

The man then admitted to drinking one shot and a beer. A preliminary breath test showed positive presence of alcohol. The man was placed under arrest and taken to UAPD.

Once at the police station, the man submitted to two breath tests. The first showed a blood alcohol concentration of 0.033, and a second showed 0.027.

The car that the man had been driving was towed for a 30-day impound since the driver was not of legal drinking age. The man was given a copy of his citation, tow paperwork and copy of the intoxication results.

Another officer came and arrested two other passengers that had been traveling with him on charges of minor in possession, since they, too, had been drinking and were underage.

Students caught tokin’ it up with turtles

Two UAPD officers were in a patrol car in the area of Park Avenue and Second Street when they smelled a strong odor of marijuana in the area on Oct. 19 at 11:47 p.m. The officer looked to the east corner of the intersection and saw two men and two women get up from a bench at the turtle pond on campus, and begin to walk away.

The officer noticed that the four individuals were the only people in the area. The men were walking southwest and the women were walking southeast. One officer approached the women while the other approached the men.

The officer went up to the men, instructed them to sit down and told them why he had stopped them. The two men verbally identified themselves as UA students and gave the officer their CatCards for identification. When one of the men sat down at the officer’s request, he saw a glass pipe, lighter and a broken jar with a marijuana leaf decoration on it about two feet away. A bud of a leafy green substance was at the rim of the jar.

The officer pointed to the items and asked if they belonged them, but the men stated that it did not belong to either of them. They said they understood their rights and would not answer any questions. One man said he wanted to speak to his father.

The officer then saw this same man bend down to pick up a lighter that was in the grass and place it in a red Ziploc pouch that was attached to a lanyard around his neck. The man said he did this because it belonged to one of the women. The officer told him that since the item wasn’t his own belonging, to put it back on the grass, which he did.

The second officer reported that he had spoken to the two women, who told him that the men had just shown them the marijuana pipe and jar with marijuana in it. The girls identified the items individually as the items the men had shown them.

The officer then placed the two men under arrest for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. They were placed in handcuffs and a full custody search was conducted. They were both transported to Pima County Jail, where they were booked without incident.