Police Beat: March 4

Throwing furniture

Furniture was thrown off of the second-floor patio at the UA Cancer Center sometime between 6 p.m. on Feb. 21 and 11:08 a.m. on Feb. 24.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a report of vandalism at the Cancer Center. An employee said that furniture had been thrown off of the second-floor patio.

A green wire expanded table and three green expanded steel chairs were found outside the Cancer Center.

After noticing two cameras in the area, the officer contacted University of Arizona Medical Center Security. UAMC Security said that the servers for the cameras were down and unable to record during that time period.

No suspects or witnesses were found because of the camera malfunction.

Still under arrest

A student was arrested on a charge of a warrant for possession of marijuana on Feb. 22 at 2:25 a.m.

Two UAPD officers responded to Villa del Puente Residence Hall in regards to a report of the smell of marijuana.

A resident assistant escorted the two officers to room 271 where the faint smell of marijuana was detected. A male student answered the door, and two others were inside the room with him.

The smell grew stronger as the officers entered the room, so they asked to do a search. The students allowed a search, and no marijuana was found.

The officers did a records check on the three students and found that one had a confirmed misdemeanor warrant for possession of marijuana. The student was handcuffed, searched, placed in the back of a patrol car and transported to Pima County Jail.

Check him, not me

Two students were arrested for stealing from the UofA Bookstore on Feb. 21 at 1:36 p.m.

A UAPD officer reported to the bookstore and was told that a male student was observed removing a $3.09 pen from its packaging and then placing it in his pocket. When approached by security, the man told security to check the camera footage for his friend stealing.

His friend was caught on camera stealing a tank top, placing it in his belt under his shirt. Both men were brought inside and identified as UA students.

They admitted to stealing and said they had no reason for doing so. They said they had made bad mistakes in the past and had arrest records.

They were both cited for shoplifting and were advised never to return to the bookstore without the approval of the dean of students.