HALFTIME: Arizona Wildcats football leads 45-6 against UNLV

Ryan Revock/The Daily Wildcat

UA Quarterback B.J. Denker runs the ball for a touchdown.

LAS VEGAS— Arizona (1-0) enters halftime with UNLV (0-1) ahead 45-6. The Wildcats have scored on six of their nine offensive drives and intercepted two passes, which were returned for touchdowns on defense. Quarterback B.J. Denker and running back Ka’Deem Carey have a combined 167 rushing yards in the half.

After missing last week’s season opener with a suspension Carey returned to action Saturday with a bang. The junior was not named the starter and didn’t have a rushing attempt until the second quarter. But on his first attempt of the season Carey had a 58-yard touchdown run. Five carries later he found the end zone again to give the Wildcats a 24-6 lead with eight minutes and 37 seconds left in the half. At halftime Carey has 110 yards and two touchdowns.

Despite not having an impressive half throwing the ball, Denker also showed off his wheels with two touchdown runs in the first quarter.

Denker finished the half with 57 yards running and two touchdown runs, but only completed eight of his 17 pass attempts for 81 yards.

UNLV’s running back, Tim Cornett, entered Saturday’s game just 620 yards shy of the school’s all-time record. The senior was limited to 60 yards by the Arizona defense in the first half.

The Wildcats also produced three turnovers by the Rebels, a fumble forced by defensive lineman Reggie Gilbert on UNLV’s fourth drive and two interceptions returned for a touchdown by linebacker Jake Fischer and safety Tra’Mayne Bondurant, both occurring in the second quarter.

UNLV’s lone six points came on the first play of the second half when quarterback Nick Sherry found receiver Devante Davis for a 69-yard touchdown pass. However, a botched extra point by the Rebels held them at six points.