ASUA officials sworn in

UA community members congratulated the newly elected ASUA officials at an inauguration ceremony on Tuesday.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona president, executive vice president, administrative vice president and senate for the 2012-2013 school year were sworn into office in front of family, friends and administrators. Each member of the outgoing executive board gave the new board members tokens that represented their new positions, many while holding back tears.

Brett Ponton, outgoing ASUA administrative vice president, gave Paige Sager a “Bear Down” claw to “fight off whatever challenges may come next year.” He also gave her a frame in the shape of an “A” showing all the names of the previous individuals who once held her position in addition to the keys to her new office.

“These keys will unlock your potential,” Brett Ponton said, crying.

Bryan Ponton, outgoing ASUA executive vice president, gave Krystina Nguyen keys to his old office as well as a frame that showed the names of previous executive vice presidents. He then gave her a hard hat, which was signed by past executive vice presidents as well as a gavel to help conduct weekly senate meetings.

“Stay calm,” Bryan Ponton told Nguyen.

As ASUA President James Allen introduced incoming president Katy Murray, he said he could not look at her because he would “most likely break down into tears.” Allen explained that both he and Murray took similar paths to become president, starting with “relatively small” positions in ASUA then moving to chief of staff. In addition to the tokens and a picture frame that showed the previous ASUA presidents, Allen handed her a “spirit stick,” which he said has a long history, as ASU has tried to steal it.

“I am more than proud of how this year has gone,” Allen said. “I poured my heart and soul into this presidency, and most importantly, I am extremely thrilled and excited for Katy Murray to take on this role.”

After speeches from the outgoing executive board, ASUA Supreme Court Chief Justice Jen Dang swore in each of the newly elected officials individually. Once the ceremony ended, students, staff members and administrators were able to speak about the incoming representatives.

“This is a very important part of the university and they bring an awful lot to the table in terms of helping us steer our course and helping provide an excellent education,” said UA President Eugene Sander.

Melissa Vito, vice president of Student Affairs, said she was glad to see a ceremony for both the old and new officials.

“It celebrates student achievements and change over leadership,” Vito said. “I’m really excited to be working with our new ASUA group and James and his team were terrific.”