“Halftime: Arizona 41, Memphis 38 “

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 16 Arizona Wildcats mens basketball team took on the Memphis Tigers in second round action of the 2011 NCAA Tournament on Saturday, March 18 at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla. At the half, the Wildcats lead 41-38.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 16 Arizona Wildcats men’s basketball team took on the Memphis Tigers in second round action of the 2011 NCAA Tournament on Saturday, March 18 at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla. At the half, the Wildcats lead 41-38.

TULSA, Okla. – After a rough start that saw them fall behind by as many as 10 points, Arizona led Memphis 41-38 at halftime.

Derrick Williams led UA with 12 points and six rebounds while point guard Momo Jones chipped in 10 points.

After UA’s Solomon Hill scored the first point on a free throw, Memphis went on a 10-0 run in a matter of minutes. The Wildcats responded to go on a 7-1 run to bring the score to 11-8 under the 15-minute mark.

Both teams shot 48 percent from the field.

Extending the lead back to nine at 17-8, Mayes drilled a 3-pointer on the right wing. But the Tigers kept forcing turnovers and the tempo, exactly what Miller feared in his pregame media sessions.

Despite eight first half turnovers, Arizona weathered a storm and its defense began to clamp down as the half grew older. Memphis also had eight give-aways at halftime.

A 3-pointer by UA forward Kevin Parrom brought the Memphis lead down to 26-23 with just more than six minutes remaining. His pass to UA guard Kyle Fogg a minute later gave the guard a lay-up in the paint, and on the next possession Williams scored on an offensive rebound with under five to play for Arizona’s first lead.

Fogg went to the foul line after an intentional foul was called on Memphis’ Tarik Black, and his two free throws game Arizona a 33-30 lead with 3:20 before halftime.

Parrom was called for an intentional foul after jockeying for position on the offensive end with 2:17 to go in the first. A Wesley Witherspoon 3-pointer reclaimed the brief lead for Memphis.