Quick Hits

Council has Black History Month events
    Today kicks off the National Pan-Hellenic Council’s week of events to celebrate Black History Month.
    “”The purpose of the week is to create a culturally diverse campus and to bridge the gap between African-American student organizations and other organizations on campus,”” said Danielle Abram, treasurer of NPHC and committee chair for the week.
    The organization will be on the UA Mall today providing information about black history. Other events this week include an art reception at the Social Justice Leadership Center exhibiting work related to African-American culture and history, as well as a forum and speaker which will occur on different days.
    Natalia Lopera

Chain Gang applications available today
    The selection process for next year’s Chain Gang Junior Honorary class begins today.
    Applications are available in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona office on the third floor of the SUMC. The applications are due March 3 at noon in the ASUA office.
    All sophomores with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or above are encouraged to apply.
    An optional informal “”mixer”” meeting for interested students will be held Feb. 21 at 7 p.m.
    For more information about the honorary or the meeting’s location, e-mail rocktherugby@yahoo.com.

Get to know the ASUA candidates
    Candidates running for student government positions will give brief speeches today at noon on the stage directly east of James E. Rogers Circle and north of the SUMC.
    The Candidate Showcase will give students a chance to hear what the candidates have to say about their future platforms.
    Speeches will be limited to one minute for each senatorial candidate, two minutes for each administrative and executive vice presidential candidate and three minutes for each presidential candidate.
    There will also be a 15-minute question-and-answer session afterward.
    Wells Brambl