Arizona volleyball sweeps No. 6 UCLA

Arizona volleyball played Friday night in McKale Center against visiting UCLA. The team looked more comfortable than ever as the offense managed to keep the Bruins at bay, 3-0 (25-22, 25-16, 26-24).

“Our execution from just about every phase of the game was just about flawless,” head coach Dave Rubio said.

The Wildcats were without one of their most experienced players, starting junior libero Candace Nicholson. Sophomore defensive player, Ronni Lewis stepped in for Nicholson, who was out with the flu.

Sophomore middle blocker Rachel Rhoades hit a career high .636 going 7-11 on the night.

Arizona came into the match looking for an upset after falling to No. 1 Stanford and Cal last weekend.

Last year, the Wildcats were the only team to beat the Bruins in their near perfect road to the championship. This year, Arizona’s squad is much younger but they fell into leads in the first two sets, hitting .440 in the second set and keeping UCLA t a low .023 hitting percentage in the first set.

“For the first time, I really felt like every player on the team was playing for each other,” Rubio said.

“There was no agenda, it was we’re going to play hard and we’re going to play hard for each other.”

The third set came close but the Wildcats hung on for the sweep. Arizona takes on No. 5 USC on Sunday for a noon game at McKale Center.