Princeton makes its rounds to Tucson

The third time’s a charm for LA based band Princeton.

Princeton, once a three part band, consisting of twin brothers Jesse and Matt Kivel and UA alumni Ben Usen, have now added a fourth member, drummer David Kitz, who has taken the band up a beat.

Performing live at Club Congress on March 24 marked the band’s third appearance in Tucson and their second performance at Club Congress.

“”It’s so great playing at Club Congress because they let us stay at the hotel, so we can just stumble upstairs and pass out after the show,”” said Usen.

Since their last performance, the band flew to London by Diesel to play live shows which included Diesel’s XXX party. Once back to their native west coast, Princeton performed with the band Say Hi just before jetting to New York for College Music Journal (CMJ). After leaving New York, the band toured the East coast and Midwest with Ra Ra Riot.

“”The Ra Ra Riot tour was probably the best experience we’ve ever had,”” Usen said.

Since the beginning of 2009, Princeton took the first few months of the year off to record their first album.

Their music has definitely matured since their 2006 LP, “”A Case of the Emperor’s Clothes,”” was released. Jesse Kivel, who supplies the vocals for half the show, sharing the other half with twin brother Matt, also plays guitar and has supplied a noticeable change in his own vocal limitations. This time around, Jesse’s voice showcases more talent than ever before, providing listeners with more depth and longer notes.

Even though Matt and Jesse are twins, their voices offer distinct differences between them. Matt’s vocals are distinctly shorter in range than Jesse’s. Matt has also started using a chorus pedal on his guitar.

“”We also started using bigger ’90s guitar sounds for our record, which have found its way into our live set in addition to more synthesizers and pads for a more electronic sound,”” Usen said.

Despite traveling fifteen hours from their last show in Denton, Texas, the night before, the show ended with an original and spirited song, “”Shout it out,”” satisfying the audience with plenty of energy. However, the band won’t rest long. Last nights show jumpstarted their west coast tour with Sebastian Grainger which ends in Portland next week.

And even with all of the fame they have collected from touring, Princeton still loves Tucson.

“”All the people that were there were great and it was a really fun night,”” Usen said.