“Fall fashion, Arizona style”

Fall fashion, Arizona style

It’s hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk and the thermometer needle hasn’t dipped below 90 since May. Even though it’s a long way from fall here in Arizona, the glossy, super-thick editions of Lucky, Elle and Vogue give fashionistas an idea of the hottest trends for the upcoming season.

While stores across the country already stock cold weather threads, Arizonans know it will be months before temperatures drop below the boiling point.

So how can Wildcats stay fashionable while keeping cool? Many of the trends forecasted for fall won’t have you sweating buckets as you walk across the UA mall.

Jeans are always a fall staple, although designers have taken a new spin on the American classic this season. Brightly hued denim, primarily in the slim, skinny cut, colored the runways at Theory and Tory Burch, while online retailer Shopbop.com chose colored denim shorts as one of its favorite fall picks.

If you’re having a hard time finding jeans that aren’t blue, Urban Outfitters has UA students covered, offering jeans in “”Ruby Red”” and “”Bright Purple”” from their house line, BDG. Even guys can get in on this trend with Levi’s 510 jeans, rereleased for fall in colors like candy apple red and evergreen.

While animal prints have been a recurring trend for years, mix it up this season by opting for exotic skins like crocodile, alligator, python and eel. These textured prints look amazing in the rich, dark colors that are always prevalent in autumnal collections. Animal prints look best in small doses, so try to limit this look to accent pieces and accessories. Kate Spade’s fall line features clutches and gloves made of crocodile- and ostrich-embossed skins, while Betsey Johnson’s jewelry line offers feather-embossed earrings. These adornments offer a way to incorporate the animal print trend without going over the top. Men can also find sharp leather and ostrich accessories, especially wallets and carryalls, at Nordstrom from designers Ben Sherman and Jack Spade.

Victorian clothing and accessories took center stage at countless runway shows. The best way to describe this trend is “”goth-meets-girly”” – a mix of dark, edgy pieces offset by delicate, old-world fabrics like lace and damask. Urban Outfitters lets shoppers get a taste of this trend on the cheap with their cameo necklaces and carved rose rings, both great accessory choices under $30.

Bohemian influences also dominated the runways and fashion magazines. Even though Bohemian styles traditionally mean lots of heavy furs, Arizonans will be happy to find that cropped furs are popular this year. Finish off the look with a floppy, wide brim hat and a sundress in a boho floral print to emulate looks from Anna Sui and Dsquared.

Layering is another fall trend that’s tailor-made for Arizonans. We all know that while it might be sweltering outside, restaurants and stores blast air conditioning at full capacity throughout the summer months. Layering pieces, like long tanks under cardigans, or tees under vests, promise to keep you cool outdoors and comfortable in classrooms.

Guys can find many layering options at American Apparel. Remember Mr. Rogers and his long button-down sweaters? The store offers such popular Grandpa-style cardigans in numerous colors, and is perfect for this fall’s look.