Women’s golf still in 5th

A strong start to the second round had the No. 7 Arizona women’s golf team thinking victory, but a sluggish finish yesterday likely eliminated the team from contention at the Las Vegas Founders Collegiate Showdown in Henderson, Nev.

The Wildcats ended up with an 8-over 296 for the second round. Arizona’s 36-hole tally of 15-over 591 leaves the team in fifth place, 19 strokes behind tournament-leading No. 19 Oklahoma State with one round to play.

“”We had a really good start,”” UA head coach Greg Allen said. “”We just made some silly mistakes coming in.””

The Wildcats came out hot on the front nine, as junior Alison Walshe knocked in an eagle on the third hole and junior Mary Jacobs birdied the first three holes.

But the Wildcats could not keep up their torrid pace. Sophomore Amanda Wilson was the only Wildcat to finish the back nine under par.

Walshe is now tied for ninth place and is the only Wildcat in the top 20.

Almost assuredly unable to win, the Wildcats head into the final round just looking to end on a high note. This will be their last stroke round of the fall semester since Arizona’s only remaining tournament will be match play, and Allen said it’s important to finish strong.

The Wildcats leave straight from Las Vegas after the end of their round, which starts at 8:30 this morning, and will fly to Orlando, Fla., for the Hooters Women’s Collegiate Match Play Championship Friday through Sunday.