Calendar: August 1-5

WEDNESDAY, August 1

Open Mic Night at Sky Bar

The fences near Sky Bar, 536 N. Fourth Ave., have come down as the first phase of construction on Fourth Avenue is completed. Celebrate the liberation of Tucson’s solar-powered cafe by day and bar by night with an evening of local singers and songwriters. The first act hits the stage at 6:00 p.m. and the show goes until midnight. You must be 21 to enter, but there is no cover charge.

FRIDAY, August 3

Seal (with Macy Gray) at Casino Del Sol

Seal has sold over 20 million albums, won four Grammy awards and an MTV Video Music Award. Joined by Macy Gray, he will be in Tucson to perform at Casino Del Sol, an evening soul and R&B fans will not want to miss. Casino Del Sol is located at 5655 W. Valencia Rd. Tickets start at $30 and can be purchased online at www.tickets.solcasinos.com.

SATURDAY, August 4

Al Del Bene at Laffs

Al Del Bene takes the stage this weekend at Laffs, 2900 E. Broadway Blvd. Now residing in California, Del Bene of Boston was a longtime fixture in the New York comedy scene. Tickets start at $10 and can be purchased at www.laffstucson.com for separate shows starting at 8:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. The show is open only to people 21 and older.

SUNDAY, August 5

“The Mystery Genius of Sax Rohmer’s Dr. Fu Manchu” at the Comedy Playhouse

For an afternoon play, head to the Comedy Playhouse, 3620 N. First Ave., for a performance of “The Mystery of Sax Rohmer’s Dr. Fu Manchu,” based on the novel by Sax Rohmer. The famous Dr. Fu Manchu comes to life in all of his lunacy in his hilarious quest for world domination through the use of naturally-occurring weaponry. The show is open to all ages. Tickets are $10 for students and can be purchased at the door. The show starts at 3 p.m.