Spring break canceled for 2020-21 academic year

Breaking News (Illustration by Pascal Albright | Daily Wildcat)

The Office of Provost sent out an official email Wednesday announcing that spring break 2021 is cancelled.

RELATED: What the university is doing to protect UA essential workers

The 2021 spring break will be replaced with a series of reading days spread throughout the spring semester, on Feb. 25, March 9, March 10, April 2 and April 21. 

“This adjustment to the Academic Calendar is a necessary component of our ongoing commitment to limit the spread of COVID-19 in the Tucson community and across the nation by reducing travel by faculty, staff, and students,” said Provost Liesl Folks in an email.

Due to this change, there may be some students who will not be able to participate in the reading days. As explained in the email, there will be some laboratory classes that will need to still meet on the readings days. The reason for this is to allow those classes to stay in sync, according to Folks. 

Programs such as Colleges of Medicine and College of Veterinary Medicine, that do not include a traditional spring break, will not be impacted by these changes. 

The academic calendar and the schedule of classes are expected to be updated before opening registration for the spring 2021 semester next month. 

Many other colleges have also decided to eliminate spring break 2021.

Before the email was sent out yesterday a student had seen that the calendar had been updated. 

Multiple UA students expressed their anger over the lack of involvement surrounding the decision on Twitter. 

The Coalition of Academic Justice at the University of Arizona also speculated about the cancellation before it was officially announced. Many replies to CAJUA also expressed concern regarding the lack of faculty, staff and student involvement in the decision. 

Follow Jillian Bartsch on Twitter