Big crowd flocks to SUMC

Amy+Webb%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0AUA+students+speak+with+AT%26T+representatives+at+the+Career+Fair+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+20+at+the+Student+Union+Memorial+Center.+UA+Fall+Career+Days+is+hte+largest+job+fair+hosted+on+campus.+
Amy Webb
Amy Webb/ Arizona Daily Wildcat UA students speak with AT&T representatives at the Career Fair on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at the Student Union Memorial Center. UA Fall Career Days is hte largest job fair hosted on campus.

The UA Fall Career Days is seeing more participation in students and vendors than last year.

The number of booths enrolled in the career fair this fall has increased with spaces for employers looking to recruit sold out, said Susan Miller, senior coordinator for the UA Career Services.

“There are some great employers at this event, and some we decided to add because we couldn’t say no to,” Miller said. “We are slightly ahead of last year as far as employer participation.”

The fair hosted 129 booths at the Grand Ballroom in the Student Union Memorial Center on Tuesday with companies looking to employ and enroll UA students for internship programs.

“It’s the only time in your life that the recruiters are going to come to where you are,” Miller said. “I mean, in 10 years when you are out in the regular workforce for a while, if you decide you want a new job, no one is going to come to your house.”

The career fair continues today in the student union from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Organizers expect 100 booths, 60 of which participated yesterday, at the event today.

Kate Brown, a university relations manager for Dick’s Sporting Goods, said their company comes to the career fair every year from Pittsburgh, Pa., and stays for both days to provide students employment and internship opportunities in the Western part of the country.

“We have meet a lot of great students, we hope to see more as the fair continues,” Brown said. “We originally came here because of the retail program at the UA, we thought that there would be students who would want to be in this part of the country but we have found that there are students who do want to do that, but also want to go to Pittsburgh.”

The UA Fall Career Days is the biggest career fair the UA holds every year. Students who attended the event had the option of preparing by going to the UA Fall Career Days Kick-Off held on Sept. 14, where they were able to review their resume and develop a checklist of employers they wanted to see.

“I went to the kickoff last week and they really helped me out getting ready for today,” said Anthony Trial, an economics senior. “I think the career fair is a great thing, I was able to get an internship from it last year and as a senior graduating in May I am now looking for a job.”