Leaving their mark on the UA

Baseball

Preston Guilmet has been the team’s ace pitcher for the past three seasons, and that didn’t change during the 2009 season. The Citrus Heights, Calif., native moved into second place on the all-time strikeouts list after fanning 10 Golden Bears on May 1. He currently has 401 strikeouts in his Wildcat career.

Brad Glenn opted to not play pro ball after he was selected in the 17th round of the MLB Draft by the Oakland Athletics. While he’s struggled during his senior campaign in Tucson, the Tulsa, Okla., native has started 45 games for Arizona so far this season and boasts an on-base percentage of .329 on the year to go along with 38 RBIs, good enough for second on the team.

Outfielder Hunter Pace had to wait to get his shot on the baseball team, but he’s made the most of his opportunity this season. He is currently second on the team in batting average (.369) and ranks second on the team in on-base percentage (.448).

Men’s Basketball

Forward Fendi Onobun was supposed to make a splash for the men’s hoops team, but it didn’t pan out the way he pictured it. Despite that, the Houston, Texas, native appeared in 30 of the team’s 35 games – starting twice – and provided energy and hard work off the bench.

One of the least used players on the squad was the unchallenged fan favorite for the men’s hoops team. David Bagga only made three shots during the entire year, but his 3-pointer in the final moments during a UA win on Senior Day will be remembered by Wildcat fans for years to come.

Women’s Basketball

One of the more consistent players in UA women’s basketball history, forward Amina Njonkou was second on the team in both rebounds (226) and total points scored (296) on the season. She finished her Arizona career fifth all-time in total rebounds (690) and third all-time in rebounds per game (6.8)

Cross Country

Originally hailing from Kapsabet, Kenya, Irine Lagat was the best athlete for the women’s cross country team. She took sixth place in the 5,000-meter event at the NCAA West Regionals with a personal-best time of 16:34.30.

A Carmel Valley, Calif., product, Dylan Fitzpatrick was one of the most improved runners for the Wildcats. His personal best time of 3:41.21 in the 1,500m event at the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, but he did win that same event at the UA-ASU-NAU Double Dual meet.

Football

The most prolific passer in UA history ended his career on the highest note he could. Quarterback Willie Tuitama led the Wildcats to a 31-21 Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl win against then-No. 17 BYU. He completed 65 percent of his passes for 3,088 yards and 23 touchdowns during the 2008 season.

Mike Thomas also ended his Wildcat career with a bang. The wide receiver became the Pac-10’s all-time leader in receptions as he hauled in his 259th catch of his career in the waning moments of the bowl victory.

Ronnie Palmer was the anchor for the UA defense. The linebacker led the team in tackles (85) and tackles for loss (11) on the year and was fourth on the team in sacks (2.5).

Safety Nate Ness was a constant force for the UA secondary. The Gardena, Calif., native was second on the team in tackles (75) and passes defended (8) and was third on the team in interceptions with two, including a pick six against Stanford.

Cornerback Marquis Hundley was the Wildcats’ most consistent cover corner. His 13 passes defended and four interceptions led the team and his 59 tackles were good enough for fourth on the squad.

Offensive lineman Joe Longacre helped stabilize the Wildcats up front. A group that fluxuated due to injuries, he was the pillar of consistency as he started in all 13 games for Arizona this season.

Kicker Jason Bondzio had a solid year on the Wildcats’ special teams unit. He made all 55 of his extra point attempts. He also connected on 14 of his 16 field goal tries, with his long coming from 49 yards out.

Men’s Golf

The team’s lone senior, Tyler Neal helped the Wildcats earn a berth in the NCAA Regionals. He started in all 11 tournaments on the season and averaged 74.56 strokes per round with a low round of 67.

Women’s Golf

Amanda Wilson was one of the most consistent players for Arizona. She led the team with nine appearances in tournaments and saved her best round for the final one of her UA career as she shot a 69 in the last round of the NCAA West Regional.

Gymnastics

Beamer Bergeson started in every beam event for the Wildcats during her career. She was a two-time selection to the Pac-10’s Second Team all-conference on the balance beam.

Bree Workman was one of Arizona’s most consistent performers all season. The Lansing, Mich., native was a First Team all-conference selection on the floor exercise and posted a season-high mark of 9.875 against Denver.

Soccer

Forward London King was a leader for the Wildcats during the 2008 season. She was second on the team in goals scored with three and third on the team in points with seven. She started in 10 of the team’s 11 games on the year.

Goalie Chelsea McIntyre was one of the best keepers in the conference. She allowed just eight goals on the season and recorded five shutouts on the season. She also had one assist during her senior campaign.

Softball

Jenae Leles was one of the best hitters in Arizona history. The third baseman’s 22 home runs on the season rank second on the team and second in the nation. She started every game for the Wildcats during the 2009 season and her 62 RBIs are second on the team.

Utility player Sam Banister has been invaluable for the Wildcats during her senior campaign. In 52 games played, all starts, her 14 home runs are good enough to place her in a tie for 25th in the nation and rank fourth on the team.

Redshirt senior Jennifer Martinez was a pleasant surprise for Arizona. She appeared in 35 games for the Wildcats, including eight starts, and posted a record of 10-4 with a 2.61 ERA and 96 stirkeouts.

Swimming and Diving

Joshua Arreguin was one of the team’s best breast strokers all season. He had the second-best time during the season in the 100-yard breaststroke (53.65) and the third-best mark in the 200y event (1:56.30).

Nicolas Nilo was a major contributor to the Wildcats during the 2008-09 season. The Brazilian was one of the best freestylers for Arizona as he posted top time in the 100y freestyle (42.08), the second-best times in the 50y event (19.61) and 200y event (1:33.45).

Taylor Baughman was a stalwart for the women’s swim team. The Carmel, Ind., native was an integral part of the UA’s relay teams and posted on of the Wildcats’ top-five times on the season in the 50y, 100y and 200y freestyle events as well as the 100y and 200y butterfly events.

Lara Jackson was a force for the Wildcats in every meet. She successfully defender her national title in the 50y freestyle event and her time of 21.27 seconds is an NCAA record in the event. She posted a top-four time for Arizona during the season in the 50y and 100y freestyle, 100y backstroke and 100y butterfly.

Tennis

Danielle Steinberg was the leader for the women’s squad. The Tel Aviv, Israel, native played from the No. 1 spot for the Wildcats and helped the team to an 11-10 overall record and won her final home singles match by the score of 6-0 and earned a Pac-10 Second Team all-conference selection.

Track and Field

The best thrower for the UA this season, Zack Lloyd made his presence felt in nearly ever meet. He won the Pac-10 title with a toss of 21.03 meters, a mark good enough for a school record.

Bobby McCoy was one of the best sprinters for the Wildcats during the season. He took fourth place at the Pac-10 Championships in the 400m dash and eighth in the 200m event.

Luis Rivera-Morales proved his status as one of Arizona’s best jumpers. He posted the best marks of the season in both the long jump (7.64m) and the triple jump (15.76m), both good enough to earn an NCAA Regional qualification mark.

Nicole Lloyd, wife of Zack Lloyd, was one of the women’s team’s best throwers of the season. Her mark in the shot put of 16.32m at the Husker Invitational in Lincoln, Neb., was her personal best and good enough for an NCAA Regional qualification mark.

Megan Howard was the second part of the UA’s 1-2 punch in throwing events. Her toss of 19.27m in the hammer throw was a personal best and good enough for an NCAA Regional qualification mark.

Shevell Quinley had somewhat of an injury plagued senior campaign, but her contributions to the UA team were still significant. The Tracey, Calif, native’s total of 5,401 points in the heptathlon at the Pac-10 Championships was her top score of the season and good enough for an NCAA provisional qualification mark and a seventh-place finish.

Volleyball

Brooke Buringrud and Randy Goodenough were two of the Wildcats’ more consistent players during the 2008 season. Despite the team struggling to a 16-14 record, the two outside hitters provided Arizona with enough of a spark to help lead the team to a 6-3 mark in the Pac-10 in home matches, including upset wins against then-No. 6 California, then-No. 8 Oregon and then-No. 11 USC.

– compiled by Brian Kimball