Police Beat: March 27

Shots before class

A UA student was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol on Monday at 2:50 p.m.

Around 2:35 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer was patrolling around the Life
Sciences South building when he noticed a male student walking through the street who was almost hit by a BMW. A woman yelled at the student, telling him to hurry up and get out of the way.

The officer approached the male student and asked for identification. The student was swaying from side to side, had red watery eyes and had the smell of alcohol on his breath.

With slow, slurred speech, the student asked the officer why he was being stopped. The office said he could smell the alcohol on the student’s breath and asked him if he had been drinking.

The student said he had been drinking and that he was only 19 years old. He told the officer he had drunk four shots of vodka and juice at home, around 2:15 p.m., before heading to class.

The officer asked the student if he had taken any pills with the alcohol and requested a horizontal gaze nystagmus test. The student showed six of the six cues, indicating that his blood alcohol content was over .08.

The officer suggested that the student not go to class intoxicated, but said it was his choice. The student said he would walk home.

The officer cited the student for underage drinking and for not using a crosswalk to cross the street.

‘I tried to be sneaky’

A UA student was arrested for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on Monday at 12:04 p.m.

A UAPD officer went to the bookstore regarding a shoplifting student. When the officer arrived, he met with the student, who was being held in a conference room.

When read his Miranda rights, the student said he understood and would answer the officer’s questions. The student had attempted to steal an Apple USB power adapter and an Apple Lightning USB cable.

The student said, “I came into the bookstore and went to the area where the things were that I was going to shoplift. I took them to a different area where I tried to be sneaky, but was caught.”

The student said he did not have the money to pay for the items and never intended to actually pay for them.

Both items were returned to the bookstore and all footage of the student was placed into evidence. The student was cited and issued a bookstore exclusion order.