Icecats’ season ends with ACHA loss to Lindenwood

The No. 10 Arizona men’s club hockey team’s season came to a disappointing end yesterday with a 3-2 loss in overtime to No. 6 Lindenwood in the first round of the American College Hockey Association National Championship Tournament.

Sophomore goaltender Luke Edwall made 43 saves in the game, but seven minutes into the overtime period the referee literally got in No. 10-seeded Arizona’s way against the No. 7 seeded Lions.

As the Icecats attempted to clear the puck, the referee was in the way of the shot and the puck stayed in Arizona’s defensive zone, Arizona head coach Leo Golembiewski said. Lindenwood ended Arizona’s season seconds later amidst the confusion, slipping the puck into the net.

“”This was the most interesting refereeing I’ve seen, especially for a national tournament,”” Golembiewski said.

Arizona was called for a penalty 58 seconds into the game and spent most of the first period killing penalties. After five minutes of even strength, two more penalties, including a misconduct violation, were whistled against Arizona within 30 seconds of one another.

“”The penalties kind of hindered guys getting into the flow and rhythm of the game, but once we started playing five on five, I thought we outworked them,”” senior forward Cole Dunlop said.

“”I was real happy with how hard everyone played,”” he said. “”I thought we played well. They’re a good team.””

Arizona was whistled for 12 penalties in the game, five in the first period alone, compared to Lindenwood’s total of three for the game.

Freshman forward Cody Morin scored with assists from sophomore defenseman Max Sliwinski and freshman forward Robbie Nowinski to cut the Lindenwood lead to 2-1 in the second period.

With three and a half minutes left in regulation and down one goal, Golembiewski put his power play squad on the ice at even strength, looking for a goal. The Icecats found that goal when Dunlop scored with assists from freshman forward Matt Conover and sophomore forward Craig Irwin.

“”The last seven minutes of regulation, we had the puck in their zone, we were really putting pressure on them, and we had a lot of chances,”” Dunlop said.

Arizona was outshot 46-39 in the game, with plenty of scoring chances they couldn’t convert into goals.

“”Edwall, our No. 1 goaltender, was outstanding in the net again for us,”” Golembiewski said.

The Icecats will play in a consolation game tomorrow for 10th place.

“”It’s really disconcerting to work for six months, come in as the 10th-ranked team, travel across the board and have this happen,”” Golembiewski said. “”The only way I can describe the calls is interesting.

“”It was a good season. I’m extremely proud of these kids and how tough they played all year.””