CD Review

Remember when rap music consisted of a basic backline beat and a rapper talking about his tough life growing up? Case in point: Pitbull.

Pitbull was introduced to the mainstream music scene in 2004 with his debut album, M.I.A.M.I.- Money is a Major Issue, which boasted his first hit single, “”Culo”” and the successful “”Toma.”” His sophomore album, El Mariel, was just as successful with hits like “”Ay, Chico.”” He’s known for his unique mix of reggaeton and crunk music and his suggestive lyrics.

This time his distinctive sound has returned with his third album, The Boatlift.

The Boatlift
    Pitbull
    TVT Records
    2 stars

The first single off the album, “”Go Girl,”” features You Boss Trina and is certainly an interesting way to start off the album. His cocky lyrics suggest that the three years he’s been on the music scene have made his head swell to the size of a hot-air-balloon. “”Party like a rockstar/Look like a movie star/Play like an all star/Fuck like a pornstar.”” No matter how bad the lyrics are, the beat is catchy and is definitely something you’d find in a club on South Beach.

“”Secret Admirer”” features Lloyd and is a completely different feel than that of most of the songs on the album. Unlike most of the album that brags about strippers and porn stars, this song actually admires the beauty of a “”one-in-a-million”” kind of woman.

In between tracks are small intros narrated by Pitbull. He talks about his life and the struggles he’s gone through. They’d be fairly sincere if they weren’t followed by lyrics like those in “”Go Girl”” or tracks such as””Dookie”” or “”Stripper Pole.””

The rest of the album is pretty predictable. It features artists like Trina, Trick Daddy and Fabolous.

If you like the bass-bumping, reggaeton sound, you’ll probably like the album. Otherwise, there’s nothing fabulous about it.