Arizona soccer falls to BYU

Jim+ORourke%2FArizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AThe+UA+girls+soccer+team+played+BYU+on+Thursday+at+Murphey+Field+at+Mulcahey+Stadium.+Arizona+lost+1-0.+
Jim O’Rourke/Arizona Daily Wildcat The UA girls soccer team played BYU on Thursday at Murphey Field at Mulcahey Stadium. Arizona lost 1-0.

A sea of red and blue filled the stands as families, friends, Olympians and UA athletes gathered to cheer on the Arizona women’s soccer team as it took on BYU at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Stadium on Thursday night.

The Wildcats fell to the Cougars 0-1, bringing their record to 0-2 for the season.

“We got away from the game plan,” head coach Lisa Oyen said. “All the girls know and understand what we set out here to do, but we simply just lost sight of that.”

Even with the loss, junior goalkeeper Gabby Kaufman and junior mid-fielder Ana-Maria Montoya had noteworthy performances.

Just three minutes into the game, BYU’s Jaiden Thornock scored the first and only goal of the match. In the face of such a quick attack, Kaufman kept her composure for her teammates’ sakes.

“We feed off one another,” Kaufman said. “I have a strong voice on the team. It starts with me, then the defenders, up to the mid-field, and to the forwards. So I didn’t want to get down on myself.”

The early sting fueled the Wildcats and Kaufman as they closed the half with three shot attempts, two saves and a blocked shot.

During halftime, four UA athletes who had competed in the 2012 Olympic Games in London were recognized, one of them being Montoya. She played with the Columbia soccer team this summer.

At the start of the second half, BYU came out aggressive, but Kaufman denied an early goal attempt with another block. The Cougars’ relentlessness landed them back-to-back fouls, giving the Wildcats a chance to score off the penalty kick.

Montoya lined up for the shot, but missed as the ball went wide of the net, leaving Arizona scoreless after the 60th minute.

Just under the 70th minute fans rose from their seats in anticipation of Montoya tying up the match on a breakaway. She was unsuccessful, though, as BYU’s goalie made a diving save.

With just under a minute left junior forward/mid-fielder Jazmin Ponce attempted the final shot of the match. It sailed just left of the goal, leaving Arizona scoreless.