Finnish band rocks Tucson community

Reeta-Leena Korhola, right, and Marko Nyberg of the Finnish band Husky Rescue look like shes having some kind of revelation. Maybe they just realized how hot it is in Tucson.
    Reeta-Leena Korhola, right, and Marko Nyberg of the Finnish band Husky Rescue look like she’s having some kind of revelation. Maybe they just realized how hot it is in Tucson.

From chilly northern Europe comes Husky Rescue, a band with a decidedly warm disposition despite its near-Arctic origins.

Writing all of the songs himself in a recording studio in Finland, songwriter Marko Nyberg worked on Husky Rescue’s first full-length release Country Falls for nearly three years.

“”I couldn’t just quit the daily stuff,”” Nyberg said. “”But it happens to everyone. I actually feel really lucky that I finished it.””

On their first full U.S. tour, Nyberg took time out during the drive through the Southwest to admire the desert landscape.

“”We don’t have places like this where I’m from,”” Nyberg said of the surrounding desert. Reflecting on the tour, he spoke of the American crowds.

“”It’s really surprising in a huge way. They’re very welcoming,”” he said. “”They’re really great about giving thanks and feedback after (the shows).””

Nyberg looks to the movies of directors like David Lynch for inspiration. He notes “”Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”” as a recent favorite.

“”When I start composing I get so many ideas from the visual world,”” he said. The experience of transferring yourself into the movie is what makes them so interesting, he said. “”It’s the same with music.””

In an attempt to bring the two things he loves together, Nyberg has worked as a sound designer for TV in Finland.

“”It’s pretty close to what I do when composing,”” he said. At some point, he would like to be able to create music for the movies he loves.

“”That would be the perfect combination for me,”” he said. When it comes to listening to music, Nyberg listens to everything from the Norwegian singer/songwriter Magnet to American country legends.

“”I really love Johnny Cash,”” he said.

In Husky Rescue, Nyberg creates songs that bring to mind images of crisp winter afternoons, while the delicate but confident vocals of singer Reeta-Leena Korhola lend an ethereal feel to the mix.

Even with the tour nearly done, don’t expect Husky Rescue to take a break anytime soon.

“”We’ve actually finished the next album already. Hopefully we’ll be back in the U.S. next year,”” he said.

The recording process for their follow up to Country Falls proved to be less time consuming.

“”It was different, it took us six months,”” he said. Nyberg also had a little help this time around. “”We recorded it as a band.””

After recording the first album with a rotating number of people, the experience in the studio changed now that they had a solid lineup.

“”I wasn’t thinking (Husky Rescue) was going to be a touring band,”” he said.

Husky Rescue is nearing the end of the second half of its first full U.S. tour. Check the band out tonight at Plush at 9 p.m. with openers Luca and Judah Johnson.