Mail Bag

New-found freedom smells like maple syrup

I’ve always wondered what it would feel like. To get away. To finally live my life according to my own standards and beliefs. If I really wanted to, I could play video games all day long! What could be better than that? Little did I know, independence really doesn’t feel like anything. But for me, it smells a lot like maple syrup. If you’ve ever taken a stroll down East Highland Avenue, it’s hard to not notice a lingering scent reminiscent of pancakes. It’s hard to explain. Maybe there’s an underground river of syrup surging underneath the street, just like in “”Ghostbusters II,”” or maybe the local agriculture is to blame. Rivers of syrup aside, it’s hard to not smile at what is taking place right outside my window, and all throughout the university. You’d be
    hard-pressed to walk through campus and not see strangers introducing themselves. Wherever you turn, there are new bonds of friendship being forged. It’s comforting to know that my next four years of education will be populated with so many positive and outgoing students. I’ve come to the realization that independence at the UA isn’t about being able to sit around and play video games all day, it’s about getting out in the world and encountering new faces and experiences. It’s easy to see that good things happen here at the UA. And that’s something that will make you smile almost as much as the scent of fresh maple syrup.

Ryan Cooper
    creative writing freshman

Absence from Board of regents meeting disappointing

I was very disappointed to see that Associated Students of Arizona President Erin Hertzog did not attend the August Arizona Board of Regents meeting. This was especially disconcerting because two of the five Arizona Students’ Association members have resigned. Thank goodness Matthew Boepple and Graduate and Professional Student Council President Paul Thorn were there to represent the UA. What kind of leader skips out when two of five seats are already empty? This year, the board of regents’ tuition-setting has been moved up from March to October, leaving only one more meeting between now and then, and we have a new president, Robert Shelton, with whom we must negotiate. It seems that with short staff, new circumstances and a shortened timeline for influencing important decisions, Hertzog should have been at this meeting. I was told that she opted instead to put sorority rush activities first, and that this was the reason for her absence. I feel that the welfare of all the UA students far outweighs her personal activities. Hertzog took on a large responsibility when she took office as ASUA president, something her previous experience should have prepared her for. If she is already shirking important duties this early in her presidency I think that she will have a hard time improving ASUA’s image, or being a remotely effective leader. Last spring, graduate students voted to revoke ASUA’s representation, and with ASUA clearly failing to even show up to represent undergrads, I can see why.

Elaine Ulrich
    optical science graduate student, former GPSC president