Staff Picks

No. 8 Arizona softball at No.1 ASU

Arizona’s previous encounter with ASU was not a pretty one. I don’t think Arizona will get out of its slump in time for either today’s or tomorrow’s game. The Wildcats are obviously very talented – they’re the two-time defending national champions. But a lot of the game rests on Taryne Mowatt’s shoulders and she gave up four home runs to the Sun Devils last time around. It’s painful to predict ASU beating Arizona, but I think it’s going to happen.

ASU sweeps.

-Kara Bauman, sports writer

The battle in the desert is nothing more than a revenge match for the Wildcats, who were blown out 8-1 last week by the Sun Devils at home. Since then, the Wildcats have taken down Washington in extra innings, No. 4 UCLA in an 8-0 disaster and a heartbreaking loss to the Bruins the next day, 2-1. In their 12 losses this year, the Wildcats have stranded 81 runners. But if the Wildcats can continue to play spectacular defense – posting a .976 fielding percentage this year – and Taryne Mowatt can dominate in the circle, the Wildcats should have no problem getting their revenge.

Arizona sweeps

-Nick Sturiale, sports writer

The last time these teams faced off, only one showed up – and it wasn’t Arizona. ASU walloped Arizona ace Taryne Mowatt for six earned runs and career-high four round-trippers. After a few players-only meetings and a successful weekend against No. 4 UCLA and No. 25 Washington, Arizona seems to be back on track. But until the Wildcats figure out their internal issues and how to hit ASU ace Katie Burkhart, expect the ASU domination of this rivalry to continue.

ASU sweeps

-Michael Fitzpatrick, sports writer