Police Beat: Oct. 26

Lost wallet returned to surprised owner

University of Arizona Police Department officers met with a man at the UAPD station on Oct. 16 at 5:48 p.m. in reference to a lost wallet. According to police, a man’s wallet was found on campus and turned in to police. During an inventory search of the wallet, two fictitious driver’s licenses were found inside.

The wallet’s owner was notified and when he arrived at the police station, officers informed him of their desire to question him about the wallet, to which he agreed. Officers showed the man the wallet and asked if it was his. He replied that it was but told police, “”It’s all rearranged. It’s not the way I left it.”” Officers told the man they had discovered the fictitious licenses and he replied, “”You had no right to look through my wallet. It doesn’t belong to you.””

One of the fakes was described as an Ohio driver’s license with the man’s name and picture but a different date of birth. The other fake was described as an Indiana driver’s license with the man’s picture on it and false name and date of birth. Police cited the man on two charges of possession of a fictitious driver’s license and he was released on scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Cops call tagger’s mom to verify identity

UAPD officers responded to the 1100 block of Second Street on Oct. 16 at 7:56 p.m. in reference to a report of vandalism in progress. According to reports, two men were spotted walking northbound toward Second Street from James E. Rogers Way, using markers to write or draw on several street signs in the area. Officers observed two men matching the descriptions given.

As officers approached, they observed one of the men throw an object over a wall. Police contacted the men and attempted to identify them. One of the men gave police a name that did not return a valid record.

Officers contacted the man’s mother and she was able to give police the correct information.

A records check of the other man revealed gang affiliations and previous charges for criminal damage. Behind the wall where officers observed one of the men throw an object, police found 3 colored markers. That man was cited on three charges of criminal damage and released on scene. During a search of the other man, officers discovered 8 colored markers on his person.

He was arrested on seven charges of criminal damage and false reporting to a law enforcement officer. He was transported to Pima County Jail.

Second tagger cited on additional charges at Pima County Jail

UAPD officers were dispatched to Pima County Jail on Oct. 16 at 10:45 p.m. in reference to a man in custody attempting to bring contraband into the facility. Upon arrival, UAPD met with Pima County Sheriff’s officers who informed them that the individual who was transported to the jail for seven counts of criminal damage and false reporting was in possession of marijuana in the jail.

According to Sheriff’s officers, the man stated, “”I have been booked before. I don’t have anything on me.”” During a search, officers found a bag containing one gram of marijuana in the coin pocket of the man’s pants.

UAPD officers cited the man on charges of possession of marijuana, false reporting to a law enforcement officer and promoting prison contraband. UAPD officers placed the marijuana into property.

Would-be car thief unable to operate 5-Speed

UAPD officers responded to 1060 N. Cherry Ave. on Oct. 17 at 11:45 a.m. in reference to a vehicle break-in.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the owner of a Honda Accord. According to the owner, he parked the vehicle at 9 p.m. on Oct. 16 and when he returned at 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 17, he found the vehicle damaged. According to police, the driver’s side window had been broken and the ignition switch had been severely damaged. The vehicle had also been moved one parking space adjacent.

The car was equipped with a manual transmission and it is believed that whoever attempted to steal the vehicle was unable to properly operate it. A tow company was dispatched to transport the man’s vehicle for repairs. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Two men push stalled Saturn into guardrail

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of East Speedway Boulevard and North Mountain Avenue on Oct. 17 at 4:18 a.m. when they observed a Saturn that appeared to have been in a collision. While exiting the patrol vehicle, a witness informed officers that the two male occupants of the vehicle had fled east on foot.  Officers were only able to locate and detain one man.

According to eyewitness accounts, the vehicle had stalled near the intersection of East First Street and North Mountain Avenue. The two occupants got out and began to push the vehicle out of the roadway. They lost control of the vehicle and it struck a railing on the west side of the intersection. The two occupants then walked eastbound away from the site of the collision.

According to police, the man they located was identified as the driver of the Saturn. He admitted to drinking and operating the vehicle, but was unable to remember the incident. He was cited on charges of minor in possession, minor in possession operating a motor vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound.