Best free games on the Net

As college students, not all of us can afford to spend our hard-earned money on $60 video games. When you can barely afford groceries but are still in desperate need of solid entertainment, look no further than WildLife. Here’s a guide to the best free games online.

Mastermind: World Conqueror

(theswain.com)

“”Mastermind: World Conqueror”” is a real-time strategy game with a unique twist. You play as the world’s most devious supervillain, and go about conquering the world in whatever way you see fit. Between robbing banks for cash and hiring your very own femme fatales, there’s something for everyone here. Highlight of the game: buying a moon base.

Fancy Pants Adventure

(fancypantsadventures.com)

This quick adventure series by Borne Games ranks among the biggest crowd-pleasers on the Internet. You control a stick figure that has two talents: He runs fast and wears fancy pants. This platformer is sure to give you at least a good half hour of fun during your boring general education class.

Pillage the Village

(armorgames.com)

Most people enjoy games that allow you to play God. This freeware game gives you a hand controlled by your mouse and it’s up to you to use it for destroying lives. XGen Studios has made a truly remarkable challenge as the villagers will consistently get smarter and become more difficult to disperse.

Plants vs. Zombies

(popcap.com)

Just when everyone was getting sick of tower defense games, this adorable freeware title pops up. You defend your house from zombies by quickly building plant defenses such as turrets, cherry bombs and other assorted goodies. As the levels increase, so does the challenge. Bonus: You can download it on your iPhone and take it with you wherever you go.

Flow

(intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing)

This game began as a USC student’s thesis project and has exploded in popularity. You control a tiny organism that evolves based on the choices you make. Control it with your pointer, and see what happens. Amazing for such a simple game. You could download it on the Playstation 3, of course, but why not experience it for free?

If you’re looking for good time-wasters, these five gems are in a league of their own. Sack up and forget FarmVille. Better entertainment is out there.