LiveWire

A post-Iraq G.I. Bill needs to be passed now

Earlier this month, Sens. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and Jim Webb (D-Va.) co-authored a New York Times op-ed arguing for better treatment of Iraq War veterans.

The op-ed begins: “”Members of Congress and other political leaders often say that men and women who have served in our military since 9/11 are the ‘new greatest generation.’ Well, here’s a thought from two infantry combat veterans of the Vietnam era’s ‘wounded generation’: If you truly believe that our Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are like those who fought in World War II, let us provide them with the same G.I. Bill that was given to the veterans of that war.””

Specifically, that would mean thousands of Iraq War veterans would receive full college tuition, fees and books, as well as monthly stipends.

Compare those benefits with the system now in place under the Montgomery G.I. Bill: Soldiers pay $100 per month for the first year of enlistment, then later receive $800 per month on average to go to college.

Hagel’s and Webb’s conclusions are spot on. If congressional representatives are going to talk the rhetoric about supporting the troops, they ought to come through with actual support for the troops.

A G.I. Bill – along with, of course, a rational plan for U.S. withdrawal from Iraq and top-notch health insurance – is a good place to start.

-University of Nebraska’s Daily Nebraskan

Don’t stop the stem cell fight

Last week, opponents of human embryonic stem cell research declared that new research techniques have cleared away the ethical controversies that have plagued stem cell science. From Vatican City to the Bush administration, spokesmen gave sound bites of “”we told you so””; with above-the-fold headlines in every major paper describing how scientists can now create stem cells without destroying embryos, opponents of embryonic stem cell research claimed to hold unbeatable evidence on their side.

Pardon us for raining on this parade of jubilation. A “”milestone”” the research of groups in Japan and Wisconsin may be, but their method does not yet negate the need for controversial research on embryonic stem cells. Scientists and supporters of stem cell research should not allow conservatives to declare victory and should persevere in their fight to eliminate restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.

-Harvard University’s Harvard Crimson

No easy answers on Iraq future

Despite reports of decreased violence in Iraq, 2007 has become the deadliest year for U.S. troops there; as of Monday afternoon, the Department of Defense confirmed 872 deaths for the year with one more pending – and calendars haven’t even turned to December. It’s been clear for a while now that the president’s misadventure in Iraq was a terrible mistake, but the Democratic majority in Congress hasn’t taken the necessary steps to end the quagmire. More than 1,000 Americans have died in Iraq since the November 2006 midterm elections, hardly the sea change promised by Democrats.

An NBC/Wall Street Journal poll conducted earlier this month revealed nothing new: Only around 27 percent of Americans approve of the president’s handling of the war in Iraq, which can only be a sign that change is needed at the highest levels of government. While it may be simple to assume that electing a Democrat to the White House next year will rectify the problem, Congress’ poor record of combating the issue now is rather troubling.

-University of Iowa’s Daily Iowan