Police Beat: February 14

Let’s hear it for New York

The University of Arizona Police Department responded to Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall in reference to a possibly drugged or intoxicated woman on Feb. 9 at 3:45 p.m.

Upon arrival, the officer immediately recognized the UA student from three past incidents.

“Fuck you, pig!” the student yelled, adding that police had no right to detain her since she wasn’t a US citizen.

She smelled of alcohol, had red, watery eyes and continually screamed at police and fire fighters while they were on the scene.

Tucson Fire Fighters used a “tarp,” commonly used to transport patients in close quarters, to carry the student down the stairs from the third floor as police held her legs.

Once the woman was handcuffed outside, she refused to walk the eight to 10 feet to the patrol car and an officer eventually had to carry her. The officer did so cautiously, since the woman was squirming around and had kicked a firefighter in the groin earlier, while she was being evaluated.

The firefighter said that he would like to pursue criminal charges against the woman, as she had assaulted him both verbally and physically while he was trying to help her.

While transporting the woman to the Pima County Adult Detention Center, the woman continued to be “combative” with police.

“I’m going to slit your throats! I’m from Brooklyn!” she said, adding, “My father is going to get you fired and you will be pumping my gas and living on the streets!”

The student was booked into PCADC on charges of aggravated assault of a firefighter and minor in possession and a warrant for failure to appear in court.

Trippin’ on acid

Police responded to the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house after a member took acid and locked himself in his room at 1:48 a.m. on Feb. 11.

A house member who’d contacted the police led them to the room where the student was. Police identified the student as he walked out of his bathroom, and the student then put his hands behind his back and said, “Just take me now.”

Police told him he wasn’t in trouble or going to jail; they just wanted to make sure he was OK.

“I fucked up, I fucked up, I’m tripping on acid,” he said.

Police asked him to sit on a couch and he complied, but then got up and started walking back into his room. Police asked him to stop and since they were unaware of whether or not there were weapons in his room, they grabbed him by the arm and pulled him from his room.

“I fucked up, I’m tripping on acid,” the student repeated.

The student then began to clench his fists, so an officer stepped behind him and placed him in handcuffs. Police then checked his room and found no weapons.

Student Emergency Medical Services arrived and attempted to check his vitals, but were unable to do so due to his “erratic” behavior.

The student told police that he’d taken the acid off-campus with three friends around 3 p.m., but couldn’t say where.

He was then transported by ambulance to the University of Arizona Medical Center for symptoms of LSD ingestion. A code of conduct violation for the student’s use of narcotics was forwarded to the dean of students.