Police Beat

A 19-year-old student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office after police found marijuana in his dorm room at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., at midnight Friday.

Resident assistants called police after they smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside the student’s room.

When police knocked on the door, the student answered and said he was the only occupant of the room. He also told police he had been studying all night by himself.

The student said there was no marijuana in the room and allowed police to search the room.

Police found a bag of marijuana in his top desk drawer. The student said he forgot the bag was in there.

Police also found ashes by the window. The student said he had been smoking at a friend’s house earlier, not in the dormitory, and his clothes were producing the smell.

Police told the student he would be contacted by the dean of students.

A 16-year-old bipolar, schizophrenic runaway was found at Circle K, 977 E. Speedway Blvd., around midnight Friday.

When police arrived at the Circle K, the girl admitted that she was a runaway and said she thought she had been away from home since March 21.

The girl said she often ran away from home. She said she arrived at Circle K in a cab and had received the ride for free.

The girl said she did not know where she came from before Circle K because she has a hard time remembering things.

She could not tell police where she was living, how she paid for things, who she had been with or where she had been. The girl did say she had not been taking her medication since she ran away.

The girl did not complain about her home life and did not give a reason why she ran away from home.

A second officer arrived on the scene and went to talk with the cab driver who drove the girl. He was arguing with another woman and a man.

The officer initially believed they were trying to skip on the cab fare, but when the officer asked the cab driver if he wanted police attention, he became nervous and averted eye contact.

“”I don’t trust you, why is the girl in the cab with you?”” the man asked the cab driver, according to reports.

Police found the behavior of the cab driver suspicious.

“”Are you going with them? … Fine!”” the cab driver said to the girl, according to reports. “”Don’t call me again! I won’t come get you, I’ll be busy!””

The girl appeared to be very upset, disoriented and shaken up.

After talking with all people involved, police believed the taxi driver may have had sexual misconduct with the minor.

UAPD determined the possible act of sexual misconduct would have happened within the Tucson Police Department’s jurisdiction. They called TPD and turned over to them all information on the case.

The girl was taken to her home.

A 20-year-old student was cited for minor with spirituous liquor in his body after leaving his fraternity around 1:30 a.m. Friday.

Police found the student, who turns 21 in May, stumbling in the street near North Cherry Avenue and East Drachman Street.

He told police he was leaving the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house, 1420 N. Vine Ave., to return to Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd.

Police said most of his speech was incoherent due to severe slurring. A strong odor of alcohol was coming from his mouth.

Police cited him and released him to a sober friend at Babcock Residence Hall.

A student reported his vehicle had been broken into sometime between midnight and 10 a.m. Saturday while parked on the second level of the Highland Avenue Parking Garage, 1240 N. Highland Ave.

The student’s left rear passenger window of his 1987 Nissan Titan was broken out and his speakers were stolen.

A sweatshirt was also stolen. The damage and theft totaled about $700 worth of loss.

A fingerprint was removed from the left rear passenger door handle and placed into evidence.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu