Arizona volleyball drops fifth consecutive after Beavers make late-game run

Mike Christy
Arizona Wildcats libero Emi Pua’a (33) keeps a play alive during the Arizona Wildcats volleyball game vs. Samford 8/31/19 in Tucson, Ariz.

Arizona volleyball fell to the Oregon State Beavers by a final score of 3-2 on Friday night at the McKale Center. 

Arizona dominated in the first set and took a 25-13 win. The Wildcats were able to get out to an early advantage after a signature Devyn Cross block gave them a 6-1 lead over the Beavers. The Wildcats continued to dominate the rest of the set and they never let Oregon State get too close, giving them a 1-0 lead.

Arizona went on to win the second set 25-20. Similar to the first set, the ‘Cats got out to a fast start, taking a 5-3 lead. The Wildcats started to separate themselves from the Beavers taking a 14-9 lead. Oregon State made a run late, cutting the lead to two points at 18-16. However, Arizona was able to gain control once again and take the two-sets-to-none lead.

Oregon State rallied back and won the third set 26-24. The Beavers took an early lead but Arizona stormed back and took the lead at 7-6. Arizona was not able to hold off the Beavers’ run as, once again, they took the lead at 13-12. The Wildcats and the Beavers traded the lead three different times, but Oregon State was able to take an advantage late and held on for a set win.

The Beavers continued the hot streak and went on to win the fourth set 25-23. Arizona had the early advantage, but the Beavers came back and took a 10-9 lead. Arizona recaptured the lead but lost it to the Beavers on the next point. Oregon State was able to withstand the late run by Arizona and the Beavers took the set win and tied the match at two sets each.

Oregon State completed the comeback and won the fifth and final set 15-13. The Beavers got off to a great start in this set, taking a commanding 3-0 lead. After a Devyn Cross block and kill, Arizona took the lead at 9-8; however, the lead was short lived, as Oregon State came back and took a 10-9 lead. Once the Beavers got the lead for the second time, there was no looking back and the Beavers cruised to the game victory. The match’s leader in kills on the night was Katie Smoot from Arizona with 19.

After losing to Oregon State tonight, the Wildcats’ losing streak advances to five straight games. The ‘Cats will be back in action on Sunday at 12 p.m. at the McKale Center against the Oregon Ducks in hopes of getting only their second win in the entire month of October.

Follow CJ Lala on Twitter.