Rich field of music explored through new ‘Soundscapes’

Pianist Michael Dauphinais and sound designer and audio artist Stephan Moore will perform at Holsclaw Hall tonight at 7.

The music of a piano can only achieve new sounds when it collides with the waves of electronics – live electronics, that is.

The UA School of Music will present “”Soundscapes: New Music, Piano and Electronics”” tonight at 7, featuring faculty musician and pianist Michael Dauphinais with guest artist Stephan Moore, a sound designer and audio artist, in two new performances. The performance will be composed by John King, a guitarist and violist, as well as Moore.

Dauphinais has been on the UA piano faculty since 2007. He is an advocate for contemporary music, but has worked with opera companies around the United States and has teamed up with choirs and singers around the world.

Moore has worked with many artists, most famously the Beastie Boys. His work extends itself outside of the studio by mingling with video artists and choreographers.

Moore’s work “”Moving Target”” and King’s “”23 Rubai’yat”” will perform in a moving effort to bring together the classic sounds of the piano with the new sounds of live electronics. Live electronics differ from regular electronics, which are played from a CD or tape and involve a computer actively generating new sounds along with the piano. Live electronics have only been available to musicians for just over a decade.

“”Expect to hear music you have never heard before,”” Dauphinais said. “”Most of the music being performed has recently been written.””

What is most interesting about this upcoming performance are the ideas from the performing artists on the subject of new music that is emerging today.

“”All music was once new music,”” Moore said. “”New music keeps culture moving forward and the process of making history continues.””

Moore and Dauphinais will also give a lecture demonstration at 4 p.m. today in Holsclaw Hall.

The performance will take place in Holsclaw Hall at the School of Music building, on the southeast corner of North Park Avenue and East Speedway Boulevard. The event is free and is open to the public.