Calendar

Singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile will bring her pop rock to The Rialto Theatre on Saturday at 8 p.m. A Fine Frenzy will also perform.

Today

Dave Croteau for mayor music extravaganza – This concert will be so cool you’ll almost forget that Croteau’s almost 60 and nobody votes for the Green Party anymore. But seriously, this mayoral candidate has got balls to venture Downtown after 6 p.m. Even if Na’m Amor is playing. Doors open at 7 p.m. $10. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Tomorrow

MOCA after work – This wine and cheese reception will be significant because it’s an absolute confirmation that the Museum of Contemporary Art will be in fact open that day, unlike most every other day this year. They will also talk about upcoming exhibits in the fall and hopefully reveal some more open days in the future. 5-7 p.m. Free. MOCA, 174 E. Toole Ave.

Japanesian Barbie and company – Yeah, it’s a bunch of sceney local bands. But who can resist a name like that? Besides this indie band with a piano, Tucson heroes Mostly Bears as well as Haley Jane and some band that has the guts to name itself No Sleeves Caleb will play. 7 p.m. $5. The Living Room, 413 E. Fifth St.

“”Superman”” – On the Loft’s Web site, some guy named David Cornelius from www.efilmcritic.com says that the 1978 Superman film “”remains the single best superhero movie ever made.”” Thanks Dave, I can always count on you. Now I have to see it. 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Saturday

Brandi Carlile – This pop-rock and alt-country singer has toured with the likes of The Indigo Girls, Chris Isaak, The Fray and Tori Amos. Isn’t that “”the likes of”” phrase completely useless? Anyone who writes in and explains what that really means gets a free lunch and a $15 gift certificate for Babies “”R”” Us courtesy of yours truly. $20 in advance, $22 day of show. 8 p.m. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Sunday

KFMA Fall Ball – You wanna be a rock superstar? Take notes from Cypress Hill and the Smashing Pumpkins at this festival. Except, do it six years ago because the whole thing is pretty lame now. OK, I admit it. I want to hear “”Bullet with Butterfly Wings.”” Doors open at noon. $39 in advance, $50 day of show. Tucson Electric Park, 2500 E. Ajo Way

Cat Show – Simply put, the event of the year. All kinds of foreign pussies will be showcased, such as the Abyssinians, the Sphynx, the Toygers, Thais and Savannahs. Full-body nudity, unshaven. Don’t bring your grandma, ’cause it’s racy. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. $5, discounts available. Inn Suites, Tucson City Center, 475 N. Granada Ave.

Monday

Veronica Volkow poetry reading – This author will read from her book “”Connecting Lines: New Poetry from Mexico.”” You can probably already guess what it’s about. The strange thing, though, is that it’s at the Loft, and its not a movie! Brain…disintegrating…help. 7:30 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Tuesday

Jennifer Block talks about childbirth – Pretty cool, huh? It’s actually more interesting than it seems, because this author will explain why half of all U.S. mothers are chemically induced into labor and why almost a third need a C-section. Listen up, it’ll be you in a few months. (Hah, gotcha!) 7 p.m. Free. Antigone Books, 411 N. Fourth Ave.

EOTO – Don’t you just hate when people refer to acronyms in public and expect you to know what they mean? It’s so pretentious. Anyway, I’m nice, so I’ll let you know that EOTO is a band also known as End of Time Observatory that improvises electronica music and plays the drums. 9:30 p.m. $8. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St.

“”The Big Voice: God or Merman?”” – I just thought the title of this play sounded ridiculous. But the plot doesn’t sound as strange; it’s about two men who find love and “”eternal salvation”” together. Not sure where the mythical fish creatures come in. 7:30 p.m. $18. The Invisible Theatre, 1400 N. First Ave.

Wednesday

Astrobiology and the Arts: A Symposium and a Concert – This two-day festival will feature lectures, harp music, multi-media presentations, mimes, composers, a ballet and fine art. Never mind other planets. We’ve got everything we need right here. 1-9 p.m. Sept. 19-20. Free. Stevie Eller Dance Theatre, 1737 E. University Blvd.

– compiled by Andi Berlin