Police Beat: April 14

“I was just stupid”

A non-UA affiliate was cited for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore on April 7 at 2:28 p.m.

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the bookstore in reference to a report of shoplifting. The officers were told that two men were involved in stealing and that one had taken a black Lifeproof iPhone case and walked out of the bookstore with it.

The man who stole the iPhone case was asked what happened and he replied, “I was just stupid.”
When asked to explain his answer he said he went downstairs and took the case to put on his own phone.

The man said he did not have enough money to pay and that he was just “fucking stupid.” He also let the officer know that he would pay for the case now, even double the amount.

The officer proceeded to find a t-shirt and Apple Earpods, both with tags still on them, in the mans backpack. The officer asked where the items had come from and the man said he got the Earpods from someone on the street and did not say where the t-shirt came from.

The officer told the man that the bookstore wanted to press charges and the man asked to speak with his lawyer.

The officer then spoke with the second suspect. The second suspect said he had met the other man at Campus Athletic to give him back some items and never saw him steal anything.

The two men were told they weren’t allowed back on campus. The first suspect was cited and both men were escorted off campus.

Smoked ’em all

A UA student was referred to the Dean of Students Office on Tuesday for possession of marijuana.

UAPD officers were dispatched to Navajo-Pinal Residence Hall at 11:41 p.m. on April 7, after a report of the smell of marijuana coming from the third floor of the hall.

A resident assistant escorted the two officers to the third floor and lead them to the room where the smell was coming from. The officers knocked on the door, and when the student opened it the officers explained why they were there and student said, “Sure, come on in.”

When the officers entered the room the smell became stronger, so they asked the student if she had been smoking marijuana.

The student said she had been smoking about 20 minutes before they arrived. She said there was no marijuana left in the room because she had smoked it all.

When asked if there was any paraphernalia in the room the student replied saying no, that she had emptied out the cigars and used the paper to smoke the marijuana.

A code of conduct referral was then completed and sent to the Dean of Students Office.