Phi Psi chapter charter revoked

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Daily Wildcat The recognition of the Arizona Alpha chapter of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity was revoked on Jan. 20, 2012. Although former members are unsure if the fraternity plans to come back to campus, they will be allowed to do so in 2015.

The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity became unrecognized due to hazing allegations, and former members claim that neither the UA nor their national organization helped them fight the allegations.

On Jan. 20, the fraternity’s national executive council revoked the charter of the Arizona Alpha Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi after members of the headquarters staff conducted an investigation of hazing allegations in cooperation with the UA, according to Shawn Collinsworth, Phi Kappa Psi executive director. Collinsworth said that the national organization had “their own due process” with the UA chapter, and found the allegations to be true.

“They (the UA chapter) were not living up to the beliefs and values of our organization,” he said.

The chapter was forced to cease any activities planned for the remainder of the school year, and all undergraduate members became recognized alumni of the fraternity.

Although Phi Kappa Psi’s recognition was revoked due to hazing, some former members of the fraternity said the allegations were not only false, but that they were not given a chance to fight these allegations.

“I’m kind of disappointed … There was a lack of effort by the UA and nationals to improve our situation, then they blew it for us completely,” said Robert Roberto, the most recent president of the UA’s Phi Kappa Psi chapter. “I didn’t get a chance to try. But whatever.”

Roberto said that if hazing did occur, it was long before he joined the fraternity, and that the allegations against the fraternity regarded “partying” and “social stuff,” not hazing.

Paul Fielding, the fraternity’s president from spring of 2010 to fall of 2011, said their chapter became unrecognized because a former member reported that he had been hazed. The fact that their national organization revoked the charter without meeting any of their members, Fielding said, was “really disappointing.”

“I thought it (becoming unrecognized) was possible, but I didn’t think it would happen to us,” he said. “It was kind of out of the blue.”

The UA’s Phi Kappa Psi chapter has the opportunity to come back to campus in 2015 if a non-former member wishes to restart the organization. Although their national organization is unsure as to exactly when and how this will occur, Collinsworth said, they are “very interested” in restarting the chapter eventually.

“We’ve had a historically successful chapter there (at the UA),” he said, explaining that 762 men have been initiated into the Arizona Alpha chapter, including Mr. Phi Psi, the fraternity’s second executive director. “We will work with the UA when the time is right.”

While former members remain unsure about who would want to restart the organization after everything that happened, some still feel pride for ever being a part of the fraternity.

“Once you’re a member, you’re always a member,” Fielding said. “I’m a member whether they come back or not. It’s for life.”