Police Beat: Feb. 1

Pee patrol

University of Arizona Police Department officers on patrol at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday noticed a male student standing close to the wall of the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage. He was holding his groin with both hands and standing with his legs apart, with one slightly lifted. He had his head down, and officers could tell he was watching a trail of his urine travel down the wall. Officers flashed the patrol car’s lights, and the man quickly zipped up his pants and buckled his belt. Officers asked him to stop and turn around. He told them he was of age and that he had consumed “a drink or two” earlier that night. In response, an officer said, “You may be of age but it does not give you the right to urinate in public.” He was cited for criminal littering, then he left to urinate elsewhere.

Sent to time out

UAPD responded to a call on Saturday at 7 a.m. made by ESPN security, who said two heavily intoxicated male students were trying to be distracting during ESPN College GameDay filming. When officers arrived, they told the students to go home, sleep off the alcohol and not come back for the remainder of the day or they would be cited for criminal trespassing. They were escorted out of the building and police left the scene. Twenty minutes later, UAPD received another phone call of the same two students attempting to flash the ESPN viewers and run around the stadium. Police were able to detain them, and the students were cited for criminal trespassing.

Fight for the 40

A UAPD officer was patrolling campus on Saturday evening at 4:20 p.m. when he noticed a student walking with a brown paper bag, occasionally bringing it to his mouth. The officer asked him what was in the brown paper bag, and the student responded, “A 40.” He took the bottle out of the bag, and the officer saw that it was nearly empty. He asked how much the student had been drinking. The student said it was his first drink of the day. The officer cited him for drinking in public, emptied the bottle and told the student to go home.

Drove hammered, got nailed

A female student was arrested and cited for littering in public, extreme DUI, failure to maintain control and failure to possess insurance on Sunday morning at 3:30 a.m. UAPD officers pulled her over at the corner of the North Norris Avenue and East Sixth Street for throwing cigarettes out of her car’s window. The first thing she said to officers was, “Sorry, I will pick it up.” As the woman tried to get out of the car, officers thought her breath smelled strongly of alcohol and ordered her to stay in the car. They asked her how much she had to drink, and she said she had only had a little. They then asked for her identification. Officers performed a breath analysis, which showed she was over the legal limit to drive. She was arrested and cited.