‘Cats drop second game to UCLA

The No. 17 Arizona baseball team fell victim to a dominant pitching performance for the second night in a row, losing to No. 6 UCLA 6-2 at Sancet Stadium.

Bruins pitcher Trevor Bauer tossed a complete game, striking out 13 and stranding 10 Wildcats.

Arizona (27-11, 7-7 Pacific 10 Conference play) now has 23 strikeouts in the first two games of the series, and the punch-outs have hindered its ability to get anything going offensively.

Sophomore Kyle Simon (6-3) took the loss for UA on the mound, letting up five runs in five innings on nine hits.

The lone bright spots for the Wildcats tonight were sophomore Steve Selsky and senior Rafael Valenzuela, who combined to go 5-9 at the plate and drove in both of Arizona’s runs.

UA’s bullpen also shined, as freshmen Tyler Hale, Vincent Littleman and Stephen Manthei worked four scoreless innings in relief of Simon.

UCLA’s (29-6, 7-4) pitching staff is statistically the best in the Pac-10, and head coach Andy Lopez said after the game that he was not surprised to see back-to-back stellar outings from Bruins’ starters.

“”(UCLA) has got some real arms. It came as advertised”” Lopez said. “”We haven’t done a good job of competing against those arms, so we’ll see what tomorrow’s like.””

The Wildcats turn to redshirt junior Daniel Workman, who is coming off a win against No. 1 ASU, to avoid the sweep tomorrow at noon.