Newly-formed UA Debate Series to participate in Regents’ Cup

Chloe Hislop
Finley Dutton-Reid and Juan Torres, members of the University of Arizona Debate Series, during the debate on April 9, covering whether community college should be tuition free. The debate series is hosted by the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.

Organized through the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and less than two years old, the UA Debate Series strives to offer public discourse in a way that is understandable to the majority of students at the University of Arizona. 

It also strives to further UA students’ education in a unique way that is not available in the typical classroom setting. Like starting any other program from the ground up, it has taken some work and a group of dedicated students to make a name for this program.

“The process of getting together a debate team on campus has been a learning experience,” said Ashley Fredde, senior journalism student and captain of the debate team. “We’ve definitely worked out a few growing pains over the past two years, but it’s definitely come together. It’s exciting to see new members join each year.”

RELATED: First year of UA Debate Series tackles free college tuition

According to its website, the goal of the debate series is “to graduate well-educated human beings capable of resolving differences that exist in a democracy in an environment of civil discourse rather than force.”

As a showcase for all the work and progress that has gone into the program, the UA Debate Series will be participating in the Inaugural Regents’ Cup on Saturday, Nov. 16, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. with an optional reception the night before.* The event is hosted bye the Arizona Board of Regents.

The debate will be a tri-university competition, featuring teams from the University of Arizona, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University. In addition, all of the participants will receive scholarship money and the top four teams will receive the largest amount.

“I’m excited for the chance to connect with the other sister schools in Arizona,” program director Ted McLoof said. “Our organization has been slowly growing and the Regents’ cup is the first opportunity we’ve had to develop partnerships across the state. It will be quite an experience watching students from all three schools show off their excellent skills, all in the name of elevating public discourse.”

RELATED: Beto discusses immigration, education and gun control at Gentle Ben’s

The semi-final and final rounds will be open to the general public starting at 3 p.m. at the McClelland Hall at the Eller College of Management. Team members will participate in rounds of civil dialogue, persuasive storytelling, solutions and Oxford-style debate, sharing true stories from personal experiences. A final awards reception will be held after the final round of Oxford debate from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Saturday.

“We put in a mirrored energy to cooperating in the AZ Regents Cup Tournament as we would our debate family by appreciating such well-respected ideas ASU and NAU implemented,” Jovanna Bustamante, head of marketing for the UA Debate Series, said in an email. “It is a benefit to learn and expand, as you learn something new each day.”

Stay updated with all things related to the UA Debate Series on their website and on Twitter.

*CORRECTION: This article has been updated to reflect that Regent’s Cup will be hosted by the Arizona Board of Regents.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter