Zona Zoo expands merchandise

You see ’em everywhere on campus. This year, Zona Zoo’s free membership T-shirt is simply one small facet of a new merchandising line. That’s right, athletics fans – new T-shirts, long-sleeves and shorts will be available for purchase, all emblazoned with the Zona Zoo logo.

“”On any given day you see someone wearing a Zona Zoo T-shirt,”” said Dani Laven, Zona Zoo director of merchandise. “”One reason for the new line is that we have such a huge amount of school spirit, and we wanted to play off that pride with a new line of clothes that are just for students.””

Soffe shorts, a unisex long-sleeve and men’s and women’s T-shirts will be available this week at all major campus bookstores, Laven said. The clothes are designed specifically for students and a membership with Zona Zoo is not necessary. The five pieces in stores this week will range in price from $12.99-19.99.

“”A few of the directors came up with this idea, and we wanted to cater especially to students,”” Laven said.

Laven, a retailing and consumer sciences junior, is using her expertise with brand management to get the Zona Zoo merchandise line up and running. A team at Zona Zoo worked together and came up with catchy slogans for the T-shirts, said David Roost, Zona Zoo director.

“”If any students want to submit their creative ideas for upcoming merchandise, we encourage them to do so,”” he said.

Students can e-mail their ideas to zonazoo@email.arizona.edu.

For Cori Malin, a junior majoring in regional development and ASUA’s outreach development executive director, the clothes are comfortable. She wears the women’s T-shirt adorned with the slogan “”Welcome to Wildcat Country.”” Malin loves the Soffe shorts.

“”They are going to be great for football,”” she said.

Sociology senior and Zona Zoo development director Nick Sproul is excited about the new merchandise line. He wears the unisex long-sleeve with the lyrics to “”Bear Down”” printed on the side.

“”We’re really proud of all this stuff,”” he said.

Zona Zoo director David Roost participated in creating the logo on his blue Zona Zoo T-shirt.

“”It was definitely a collaborative effort, though,”” he said.

The back of the shirt appropriately warns students to leave this T-shirt at home when attending sports events.

“”Make sure to wear red at the games,”” Roost said.

photos by Roxana Vasquez