Wildcats targeted with big welcome

Valentina Martinelli/ Arizona Daily Wildcat 

Andy Cahoon, left, a theatre and philosophy senior, battles against Traci Sepp, a theatre sophomore, at Targets Back to College event on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010. Students were able to take buses from the UA campus to Target for the special one-night only event.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Andy Cahoon, left, a theatre and philosophy senior, battles against Traci Sepp, a theatre sophomore, at Target’s Back to College event on Thursday, Aug. 19, 2010. Students were able to take buses from the UA campus to Target for the special one-night only event.

On Friday night, UA freshmen were welcomed to the Wildcat family with an after-hours shopping event at Target.

The event, one of the UA’s Wildcat Welcome events for incoming freshman, began at 10:30 p.m. and ran until 12:30 a.m.

Target spokeswoman Tara Schlosser  said that back-to-college events are generally held after hours in order to accommodate college students’ late-night habits.

Students were shuttled from the UA to Target on a free bus. When students arrived, Target staff greeted them with free sodas, yelling “”Go Wildcats.””

Target employees walked all around the store handing out free items such as Orbit gum and Skittles.

Local band Steff Koeppen and the Articles provided live music for the event from the back of the store.

“”I honestly love the music. I feel like excited to shop because it’s a fresh start,”” said Hannah Younesi, a speech language and hearing sciences freshman.

The event was exclusively for freshmen, though a CatCard was not required for entrance.

Schlosser said the event originated because Target wanted to make the home-to-dorm transition easier for students.

“”Offering in-store, after-hours shopping events for freshmen is an opportunity for them to not only stock up on college essentials, but to meet new people during Welcome Week festivities on their campus,”” Schlosser said.

In addition to free items around the store, each student received a gift bag as they exited.

“”The fact that we’re in a real store and they have DJs and bands and free stuff, I’m even more excited for college now,”” said psychology freshman Tidra Smith.

Pre-pharmacy freshmen Janelle Andriano said the event made her feel like she was truly independent.

“”Especially because (your parents) aren’t breathing over your shoulder while you buy stuff,”” Andriano said.

Students also had the chance to socialize on Saturday at the Residence Hall Association block party held on the mall.

“”It’s a really big event every year and a lot of fun,”” said Pam Obando, associate director of Residence Life communications and outreach.

Though the event was somewhat disrupted by rain, students still enjoyed the free food and the opportunity to meet new people.

“”Anything with free food is awesome,”” said nutritional sciences freshman Chelsea Wallace.

Stella Ruvalcaba, a psychology freshman, said she thought the atmosphere and the people were welcoming.

“”The food was soggy, but it was fun,”” said marine biology freshman Alexia Williams.