Gymcats look to continue success

Carlos Herrera
Carlos Herrera/ The Daily Wildcat At the Gymcats meet against No. 1 Oklahoma last Saturday, senior leader Jordan Williams was treated after injuring her upper body after falling from the bars.

After a strong performance last weekend against No. 1 Oklahoma, Arizona gymnastics is looking to carry that momentum in to its meet with Washington this Saturday at 4 p.m. at McKale Center.

After senior leader Jordan Williams slipped and fell off the bars and had to leave the meet last Saturday, the Gymcats rallied for a total score of 196.925, the fifth-highest score in program history.

Head coach Bill Ryden said he expects Williams to perform on the vault, uneven bars and the balance beam this Saturday.

“It’s definitely something we’re going to try to do,” junior Kristin Klarenbach said about carrying the momentum over. “We realize now that we have the potential to be a really great team, and I think that’s something that’s going to carry us forward.”

Ryden said that in order to be successful this weekend, No. 13 Arizona will need to outperform its competition.

“We need to make sure we do all the little things,” Ryden said, “that we hit all the handstands we’re supposed to hit, we stick all the dismounts and the landings we’re supposed to stick. … If we stay away from those types of errors, I feel confident in any meet we’re in.”

Sophomore Shelby Edwards said the Gymcats are excited to compete again after last week’s historic meet and that they trained well this week.

“Now we’re even more excited to see what we’re capable of,” Edwards said. “In the gym, we always look so good. We train to be competitive. We need to not overthink it and just do what we know how to do. If we can stay calm up there, we’ll be fine.”

This is the Pink Meet and the first 500 fans will receive pink rally towels.

—Follow Katie McCallister @katiemacsports