Arizona women’s tennis stumbles into final home match of season

Darien Bakas

Arizona tennis athletes convene during a teammate’s match on March 26 against Sacramento State. The women’s tennis team has one final home match against ASU on Saturday.

A rain-out and getting crushed by UCLA is the best way to describe the Arizona women’s tennis team’s weekend.

And with only one regular season game left at home this Saturday against rival ASU, the Wildcats are likely ready for this season to come to an end.

Heading into this year, the team had lost some key players, but there was hope that an interesting mix of youth and a surplus of talent would carry the Wildcats to new heights.

Yet in the end, it appears the mix couldn’t have produced something further from that. Instead of performing above its potential and competing in the upper part of the Pac-12 Conference standings, the team has fallen to the bottom with only one win in conference play next to their name.

Arizona’s lone match this past weekend came against UCLA. It was set for Saturday, but was rained out and pushed to Sunday. The extra day of preparation, however, was fruitless, as the Wildcats came out looking flat and lost 5-2.

As has been consistent this season, the team could not compete in doubles, quickly falling down 1-0 in the match. Not even junior standout Lauren Marker could rescue the Wildcats as she was blown away in straight sets by UCLA senior Catherine Harrison (6-0, 6-2).

Freshman Kinga Gartner was one of the few players that looked impressive for the Wildcats. The freshman won in straight sets (6-2, 6-1).

Arizona now has under a week to ready for ASU.

The team will look to give its rival a tough match as the only thing the Wildcats are playing for in this last home game will be pride. The question of how much of it will be on display remains.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter