Police Beat: April 22, 2015

Help wanted

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to investigate a student with suicidal thoughts after a counselor at UA Counseling and Psych Services met with the student on April 7 at 12:30 p.m.

The student agreed to be taken to Palo Verde Behavioral Health center for constant mental health service due to the nature of his thoughts. The counselor informed the UAPD officer that this man was a high-risk patient, because he recently had thoughts of using the gun and ammunition he kept at his residence to hurt himself.

The man said this was the first time being seen by CAPS staff, and he came there for connections to a full-time mental health care center. He told the staff he only wanted to hurt himself and no one else. 

The student lives with his parents, so he spoke to his mother and asked her if she would remove all the weapons from their home. The counselor told his mother he would be at the Palo Verde center for four to five days.

The officer made sure the student did not have any weapons on him, and he was then taken to the patrol vehicle and driven to the center on Craycroft Road for treatment.

The officer completed a Dean of Students Office referral form and told the student that if he needed anymore assistance after being released, he could contact UAPD.

Booze ride

A UAPD officer pulled into the local Circle K on Sixth Street for a beverage when he noticed that a black BMW sedan parked at a fuel pump had an expired license plate on April 12 at 4:05 p.m.

The officer initiated a traffic stop at the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center after the BMW driver decided to pull into the parking lot. The driver had no proof of insurance and said he thought his mother had taken care of the vehicle registration. The officer also discovered that his license was suspended.

While the officer was searching the vehicle, he came across two warm, unopened cans of Coors Light and Keystone beer in the driver door’s pocket. In the trunk, there was a 1.751 of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey with a small amount of content left inside. The bottle was hiding in the far back of the trunk under some clothes.

The man driving claimed a friend of his drove the other night and must have left the alcohol inside the vehicle. He said he noticed the cans but did not think about throwing them away.

The driver was cited and released for driving with a suspended license and was warned about the alcohol. The BMW was towed, and the alcohol was taken to the UAPD station and dumped out.