‘Undie Run’ set for tonight

If you go:

What: First-ever UA Undie Run

Who: Hosted by journalism senior Jamal Boddie and open to all students

Where: UA Mall at Campbell Ave.

When: 8 p.m.

Homecoming Weekend will get off to a running start today, but don’t expect to see anyone dressed up.

Students have organized the UA’s first-ever Undie Run, an underwear-only jaunt across the UA Mall and onto University Avenue.

The Undie Run, organized by journalism senior Jamal Boddie, is meant to kick off Homecoming Weekend through a show of pantless student solidarity. Boddie suggested participants wear red or blue underwear “”to show (their) school spirit.””

This week’s warm weather confirmed that now was the time to strip down, he said.

“”Why wait for finals?”” he said. “”Let’s do it now.””

The run, publicized through a Facebook group that already has more than 1,000 confirmed guests, will take off at 8 p.m. from the Campbell Avenue end of the Mall and lead past Old Main and out to University Avenue. Boddie said he doesn’t expect to see as many people as have confirmed on Facebook and would be happy if only 100 people actually turn out.

“”It’s something new, and some people are scared. We’ll see what happens,”” he said.

The event might seem like nothing but carefree college revelry, but don’t be deceived; organizers will be collecting old clothes to donate to a local charity, Boddie said.

“”I figure if you’re going to get people to get down in their underwear, they should have a reason,”” he said.

University of Arizona Police Department spokesman Sgt. Juan Alvarez had not heard of the event when contacted, and said there were no plans in place to have extra police on hand to monitor the event.

“”I don’t think we have anybody extra hired for that,”” Alvarez said.

Boddie said he had not called UAPD to notify them of the event, but didn’t anticipate any problems.