Police Beat: Dec. 7

Bye bye bike

A bicycle was stolen from the James E. Rogers College of Law on Wednesday, sometime between 10 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.

At approximately 1:35 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer called the student who owned the bike. The student described her bicycle as worth approximately $600. She described her cable lock, worth approximately $20. The student was able to provide a serial number for her bicycle.

Student stows smoking bottle in shower

A UA student was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia on Dec. 1.

Two officers were working together when they were dispatched to Coronado Residence Hall because someone reported an odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When they arrived at the scene, the officers could smell marijuana, cologne and perfume coming from the crack of that room’s door.

One of the officers knocked on the door. They were greeted by a student and entered the room. Another student was sitting inside of the room. While the officers were in the room, they noticed that the shower was running and asked who was in the bathroom.

One of the students said that he likes to have the water run for a little, because when it is first turned on the water runs brown. He opened the door and the officers saw a plastic bottle with tinfoil on top, with what looked to be marijuana on it. He also saw a plastic jar containing a green leafy substance, consistent with marijuana, on a bookshelf just above one of the students’ desk. One of the students said it belonged to him.

He said that he used the bottle to smoke some of it. He added that the other man in the room had nothing to do with it, and had only arrived five minutes before the officers showed up. The student went on to explain that he had bought the marijuana from a “”man who lives across the street near Fifth Street and Euclid Avenue.”” The student said that he gets migraine headaches and marijuana is the only thing that relieves them. He said he paid $40 for two grams of marijuana.

The student was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. He was cited and released at the scene. The jar containing the marijuana was sent to the Arizona Department of Public Safety for scientific examination. A code of conduct was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office. The officer determined the other student had nothing to do with the situation.

Student’s clunker nicked

A UA employee reported his car was stolen at 1:32 p.m. on Wednesday.

He explained that he parked his 1997 Honda Civic on the south side of the warehouse at 7 a.m. He took his keys with him when he left, and showed them to the officer as they spoke. When the man returned to his car at 1:30 p.m., he noticed that it was gone. He said he walked around the warehouse and didn’t see it anywhere. The employee stated that the value of the car was approximately $1,500, and that it had front-end damage. The paint job was faded black and the gas tank was almost empty when he parked it.

The employee told the officer that he wanted to press charges against any subjects who were involved in taking the car.

The officer searched the area where the car had been parked and did not find any possible evidence. There is no suspect information at this time.

Prank wars don’t defeat the Droid

A UAPD officer went to the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity house at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, for a report of theft.

When the officer arrived, he spoke to two men who lived at the house. One of them said that while the other man was in the shower that morning, he had taken the man’s new cell phone off the desk and hid it in his car. He explained that he did it as a prank and intended to return the phone to its original spot exactly 24 hours later. He added that all the members were playing pranks on each other at the time.

The owner of the phone told the officer that he had missed his phone in the morning and asked if anybody had seen or taken it. He described the phone as a Droid, and said that it can be located by sending a code that will cause the phone to ring even if it is turned off. He then sent this code and heard the ring coming from the man’s car. He went to the trunk of the car and got his phone.

After the officer talked to both parties, the two men agreed to talk about the issue and that no further action was to be taken. The officer warned both parties not to play pranks on each other.

Bike stolen from Main Library

A bicycle was stolen from the Main Library’s northwest bike racks on Nov. 30.

A UAPD officer called the student who owned the bicycle to get more information on what happened. The student explained that his bicycle had been taken sometime between the hours of 7 p.m. and 1 a.m. The bike and cable lock were missing when the student returned to where he had left it. The bicycle rack was undamaged. The student does not have the serial number for the bicycle and it was not registered with Parking and Transportation Services. At this time, no suspect information is available.