Gazing into astrophotographer Sean Parker’s Universe

Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium

If you’ve ever dreamed of being an astronomer or astronaut, or if you just love to stare at the stars, then at 6 p.m. on Dec. 6, you have a chance to immerse yourself in the cosmos.

Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium has partnered with Bear Essential News to present the work of astrophotographer Sean Parker, a native Arizonan, in an event called Sean Parker’s Universe, said Shipherd Reed, associate director of communications at Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium.

“Sean Parker is a Tucson-based astrophotographer and time lapse cinematographer who’s gained a very big following through social media, and deservedly so,” Reed said. “He really got his start shooting the stars in the Sonoran Desert around Tucson, and so he’s been on our radar and the opportunity came up to do a special presentation.”

Parker’s videos and images will be projected onto the planetarium’s dome, Reed said, giving viewers the feeling that they’re immersed in the photos.

“The photographs and the time lapse videos, they give a level of appreciation for our natural world, both here where we live and of the wonders of other places,” Reed said. “It’s a reminder of what a special place it is that we live in.”

Tickets are $5 prior to the day of the event and can be purchased at the Flandrau front desk. The day of the event, tickets are $7. Reed said there are currently seats still available.

After the presentation of his work, Parker will answer questions, Reed said.

“It’s an opportunity for Sean to tell some of the stories behind the photos,” Reed said. “Often he’s traveling to remote places and spending long hours during the night capturing these images, and many of the photos have some great stories behind them.”

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. at the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium, 1601 E University Blvd. For more information about the event, call 520-621-4516 or visit www.flandrau.org.

Follow Marissa Heffernan on Twitter