Arizona basketball outlasts Cal Poly Pomona 67-51

Rebecca Marie Sasnett

Arizona forward Stanley Johnson (5) celebrates his one handed dunk during the first half of Arizona’s 67-51 win against Cal Poly Pomona at McKale on Sunday. 

After a slow start offensively, No. 2 Arizona dominated the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos at McKale Center in the Wildcats only exhibition before the regular season starts. Led by Gabe York, Stanley Johnson, and Kaleb Tarczewski who each had 12 points, the Wildcats defeated the Broncos by a final of 67-51.

The Wildcats struggled mightily on offense for the first 15 minutes of game as the Broncos came out with the 2-3 zone but an active Arizona defense caused 15 turnovers for the game and helped spur a 19-0 run from UA at the end of the first half and the beginning of the second.

Arizona’s outside shooting was off for most of the night as the Wildcats finished only 3-11 from three-point range but controlled the paint

Brandon Ashley’s return from injury went well as he has contributed 10 points and seven rebounds.

GAME NUGGETS:

11 Wildcats saw the floor including four freshmen: Stanley Johnson, Craig Victor, Parker Jackson-Cartwright, and Dusan Ristic.

Gabe York had the Wildcats only three-pointer in the first half. The rest of the team is 0-5 from three.

Arizona went on a 14-0 run to end the half first half and led 26-19.

The Wildcats had 18 points off turnovers and out-rebounded the Broncos 39-21.

_______________

Follow @WildcatsHoops for more basketball coverage.