Get ready to ‘Dodge the Dumpster’ this weekend

Marisa Favero

Tucson’s Reid Park Zoo opened a brand new vet center on Jan. 28, 2018. Dorm rooms like this one can be furnished with refurbished and recycled items available during the “Dodge the Dumpster” event held at the UA Paul and Alice Baker Distribution Center this Friday and Saturday. 

The University of Arizona is bringing back its Sustainable Move-Out Program for the third year in a row at the UA Paul and Alice Baker Distribution Center this Friday and Saturday. 

Nicknamed “Dodge the Dumpster,” the event features used products sold to the public at a low price, with a discount provided to UA students who present their CatCards. CatCard holders are granted a 10 percent discount on their total purchase amount.

Ali Santander, assistant director of marketing-communications for UA Housing and Residential Life, said there will be more cash registers and support staff this year to cut down wait time.

“We’ll have between 20 and 25 staff and student staff members working the sale” she said.

Students and Tucsonans are invited to attend the rummage sale from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. both days.

The UA Student Green Team, Office of Housing and Residential Life, Office of Sustainability and Procurement and Contracting Services combined forces to recycle student waste that is still in good condition.

The event is supported by the UA Green Fund, which collects thousands of pounds of household products, food and recyclables and resells them to the public at a low cost. Items at the sale include dorm materials that students dispose of after moving out.

Dodge the Dumpster has collected more than 85,000 pounds of goods in the past three years. New or current students moving on or near campus can walk away with items like televisions, printers and mini fridges.

Follow Alexandra Pere on Twitter