FINAL: Arizona beats Weber State 68-59

Rebecca Marie Sasnett

Arizona freshman forward Aaron Gordon (11) blocks Weber State sophomore forward Joel Bolomboy’s (21) shot during Arizona’s 68-59 win against Weber State during the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Viejas Arena in San Diego on Friday.

SAN DIEGO — No. 1 seed Arizona defeated No. 16 seed Weber State 68-59 at San Diego State’s Viejas Arena on Friday in the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 64.

Arizona (31-4) held the three-point savvy Weber State Wildcats (19-12) to 41 percent accuracy from beyond the arc.

After taking a 32-20 lead into halftime, the UA continued to stifle Weber State’s offense, limiting WSU to 30 percent shooting from the field. Arizona extended its lead to 21 points with 11:35 left on the clock. Weber State however, began to close the gap as Arizona started to slow down, pulled within 11 at 5:17 and then nine at 4:29 and again at 2:34. Weber State came within seven points with a three pointer at 0:26, but was unable to complete the first ever 16 over one seed upset.

Freshman forward Aaron Gordon scored 16 points to go along with eight rebounds, five blocks and three assists.

Freshman forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson shot a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor and additionally converted 3-for-5 attempts from the free throw line. He totaled 13 points, four rebounds, two blocks and two steals on the day.

Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski scored 10 points, pulled down four rebounds and had five blocks. Arizona had 12 blocks.

Junior guard Nick Johnson scored 18 points on 6-for-12 shooting, 4-for-6 from three point range, after shooting 2-for-6 in the first half.

Junior point guard T.J. McConnell led the UA with four assists and grabbed four rebounds with two turnovers.

—Follow Evan Rosenfeld @EvanRosenfeld17