“No oven, no problem”

Lack of a stove doesn’t mean members of the UA community should lack a good meal.

Everyone, including students, staff and people not affiliated with the UA, will have a chance to attend the last Cooking on Campus class of the semester.

The Student Health Advisory Committee, part of Associated Students of the University of Arizona, held four Cooking on Campus classes this semester, each with its own theme. On Tuesday, the theme is “”No Cook Cooking.””

“”You don’t have to turn on a stove to prepare good food,”” said Ben Truong, a student majoring in nutritional sciences and French and member of the Student Health Advisory Committee.

The class will allow students to learn how to make a variety of simple recipes without using a stove and can help students learn how to cook in their dorm rooms. Many people are afraid of burning things, Truong said.

Truong, along with other members of his nutrition coalition committee, will spend time teaching students about food preparation.

The class will help people become comfortable with making food for themselves, said Hana Feeney, a nutrition counselor at Campus Health Service who will provide oversight and share nutritional information for the class.

“”I think that’s going to be really helpful because sometimes that’s the barrier to making your own food,”” Feeney said.

The students will learn to make tuna salad sandwiches, pico de gallo, Mediterranean hummus and tropical banana mango mousse.

The goal of the class is to instruct people how to make healthy, quick and easy meals. Truong said instructors will elaborate on the benefits of the nutritional value of the food the students will be making.

“”I hope to get people excited about healthier foods,”” Feeney said.

The health committee also wants to expand the class next semester to be more interactive, Truong said. They plan to have guest chefs in the community come to help teach also, Feeney said.

“”The vision is that it would be much more of a hands-on cooking experience,”” she said.