Arizona tennis begins fall play at Aggie Invitational

The Arizona men’s tennis team opens their fall tournament season at the Aggie Invitational hosted by New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, N.M.

After last years disappointing finish, which resulted in a 5-18 record, the Wildcats look to redeem themselves from game one.

“The guys have been working really hard on and off the court,” head coach Tad Berkowitz said in a press release. “We are all looking forward to starting up our fall tournament schedule.”

Junior Giacomo Miccini, sophomore Sumeet Shinde, and Arizona newcomers Ben Lee, and Matt Dunn will lead the Wildcats this weekend at the New Mexico State Tennis Center.

“The on and off court drills have greatly helped me prepare myself for this weekend.” Lee said.

Arizona will be matched up against players from Northern Arizona, Western New Mexico, Abilene Christian and New Mexico State in a three-day tournament that begins at 9 a.m. on Friday, and continues through Sept. 23.

“I’m excited to get to play my first college tournament as a Wildcat,” Dunn said. “I think we have prepared well enough and will have good success this weekend.”

Dunn also looks to overcome the problems of changes in elevation and air pressure that New Mexico brings. With an increase in altitude, there is a decrease in air resistance, which results in faster serves, hits and returns.

“Las Cruces is a bit higher elevation than Tucson, so that always poses a challenge.” Dunn said. “College tennis players know how to play. Nothing will come easy for us this weekend.”